The VIPER Garage
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2018, 07:34:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome all new users to The Viper Garage - please read the site introduction in the Announcements
Pick Your ViperGarage Theme
Forum Stats
24609 Posts in 1932 Topics by 812 Members
Latest Member: Viper364
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
The VIPER Garage  |  How To Instructions  |  How-to section  |  Standard Viper Koni Shock Adjustment - soft to Xfirm
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Standard Viper Koni Shock Adjustment - soft to Xfirm  (Read 487 times)
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« on: June 27, 2016, 06:57:54 PM »

When I bought my Sapphire GTS it came with Eibach sport springs and was lowered.  With the shocks adjusted to full firm the car rides hard ( :2thumbsup:) but corners as flat as can be!  Too bad it wheel hops when I spin the tires and at the drag strip.  Even doing a water burnout the car would wheel hop.  I finally decided to soften the shocks after watching Joel Fortin's GTS launch and top out the suspension off the line. 

Watching pics of my TT GTS it lifted the front end maybe 2" off the line with wrinkle slicks.  Turned out that my TTs Penske shocks were asjusted to full firm.  After turning the rear shocks to 4 clicks from softest compression I adjusted the front shocks (using the allen key rebound adjustment) to 4 clicks (out of 40) from softest setting.

I purchased a set of used stock Viper Gen 2 shocks with 3/4" lowering caps.  I bought a cheap coil spring compressor and ground the jaws to fit the narrow coil springs of our shocks.  I compressed the springs, dropped the lowering caps and slid them off the shock shafts using the slot. 

I removed the compressors, lifted off the springs, then removed the rubber rebound stopper and the plastic washer from the shaft.  Clamping the bottom of the shock in a vice I fully compressed the shaft and turned it until I felt the shaft drop into a "slot" whereupon I held the shaft compressed and turned the shaft all the way clockwise for extra firm.  I tested the rebound by lifting the shaft and it was difficult to lift the shaft.  It collapsed easy enough.  I collapsed the shaft fully and then turned the shaft fully counterclockwise.  Testing the lift and compression in this setting the shaft was easy to move.  Now adjusted to full soft (counterclockwise) I put the rubber bumper and plastic washer back onto the shaft, then the spring and compressed it until there was enough room to reinstall the spring cap.  Loosening the spring compressors and then removing them from the shock once the cap was seated properly only left checking that the ROUND spring end was seated in the bottom plate properly.  The top coil of the springs are flattened.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 09:58:35 PM by RTTTTed » Logged
1999 1200rwhp TT GTS - ART, 2001 Roe sc GTS- (4 sale), 440 Duster restomod (sold), 3x Stealth TTs, 92 Daytona IROC with T3, 580whp/1080wtq Cummins pickup.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines | Theme by nesianstyles | Buttons by Andrea