The VIPER Garage
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2018, 06:20:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome all new users to The Viper Garage - please read the site introduction in the Announcements
Pick Your ViperGarage Theme
Forum Stats
24619 Posts in 1934 Topics by 826 Members
Latest Member: scottyv10
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
The VIPER Garage  |  Generation-specific Viper Forums  |  RT/10 & GTS Viper Discussions  |  My rsi twin turbo install
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 43 Go Down Print
Author Topic: My rsi twin turbo install  (Read 65104 times)
jtin

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2012, 01:26:27 AM »

jtin

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2012, 01:28:39 AM »

So here are some before and after pics of the frame cutouts. Dont mind the dirty car:)
jtin

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2012, 04:41:51 PM »

RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2012, 05:41:04 PM »

Looking good Joel.  You have the stock Brembo brakes on your car?

It looks like you can easily fit an airfilter lengthwise between your engine and frame rails. 

Although I worked with one of the K&N reps ... they discontinued the air filters that came on my car (8" x 5" on a 3" base).  When I asked about how to cut and bond the rubber base for smoother flow (removing the extra material after heating and squishing to just under 4" for the passenger side), He just suggested a tapered 9" filter that wouldn't fit at all.  He never offered any pricing on custom build (which their website says they do).  Looks like I'll have to buy my new K&N from here locally, from someone with enough brains to understands that Max 8" long - means that a 9" filter WILL NOT FIT.  The guys at ART must have put a lot of work into reshaping my K&Ns to fit.  Want me to ask for a pair of filters to be ordered for your GTS as well Joel? 

If anyone knows what to use to bond the K&N filter base after cutting restrictive rubber out of the way of the inlet ...  I'd appreciate knowing what to use.  I read that this airfilter system dyno's equal to no filters.  I would certainly prefer a Cold Air feed ...  but no one has invented that yet.  I'll keep working on that.  VS is building a rear mount turbo system and I thought of plumbing warm dirty air from the rear of the car, but I drive 2 kms on a gravel road so rear filter is no good.    :lol:, it's tempting to put the filter at my feet inside the car ... :lol:

Ted
1999 1200rwhp TT GTS - ART, 2001 Roe sc GTS- (4 sale), 440 Duster restomod (sold), 3x Stealth TTs, 92 Daytona IROC with T3, 580whp/1080wtq Cummins pickup.
jtin

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2012, 05:58:39 PM »

jtin

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2012, 06:02:51 PM »

Yes my brake are all stock. I need new discs for the front and new pads for the rear. I dont and cant really upgrade my brakes if I want to run my ccw drag pack wheels. They are 16'' and barely clear my brake as it is. I've heared that the abs cars will not clear my drag wheels.

As for the filter, are you saying to mount filters dirrectly on the turbos or snake them down towards the flywheel?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 07:28:25 PM by jtin » Logged
jtin

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2012, 06:03:54 PM »

jtin

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2012, 06:13:34 PM »

jtin

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2012, 06:14:29 PM »

jtin

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2012, 06:15:37 PM »

RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2012, 10:06:06 PM »

Yes, the air filters between the oilpan and the frame.  The end can be bolted to the frame beside the bellhousing. 

You didn't plumb the compressor intake into the intercooler? 

Charge tube coming off of the Turbo and going through the wheelwells and suspension from the left.
1999 1200rwhp TT GTS - ART, 2001 Roe sc GTS- (4 sale), 440 Duster restomod (sold), 3x Stealth TTs, 92 Daytona IROC with T3, 580whp/1080wtq Cummins pickup.
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2012, 10:38:38 PM »

Worst thing about the pre ABS is that they had such puny rear brakes.  A single 34mm piston ...   After finding that they wouldn't even lock up the rear wheels in a panic stop in heavy rain ... I removed the rear porportioning valve spring and that made a difference, but the rears still couldn't skid.  So on my TT I bought Tom's 40mm rear calipers from 97 Snk (for sale here) and bolted them on.  Even with the slotted, dimpled rotors I doubt this car would stop with more than .9Gs  (Stock Gen 1/2 is only .8Gs).  Tom's testing showed about 1 G with stock brakes and HIS rear calipers.  I have slotted/dimpled rotors as well so my TT (with 13" brakes will stop faster than that).  

Because I also bought a set of CCW and new wrinkle slicks I sold my Big Brake kit for half price and since it wouldn't increase the value of my GTS I've decided to install my Roe Racing 14" lightweight front brake kit onto my TT GTS.  Rear brakes only do 20% of the braking so upgrading the rear calipers should be enough to stop my TT from 220mph - with the 14" front brakes at least.  

The Gen 3/4s braking is the same as my GTS.   Difference with the smaller back brakes is that the small pads will overheat much faster than the Gen 3 giant rear 4 piston rear calipers and pads (not to mention rotors).   Once I get a couple passes at the drag strip I'll try to sell my CCW drag pack and instal partsrack's front brake kit (under $400) that allows the stock Gen 2 front Brembo brakes to be mounted on the rear axle.  The heavy front rotors and much larger pads should be more than enough braking for these cars.  I won't run my car hard on a road course for long periods of time while it has the little rear calipers.  

To run my front CCW rims I expect that I'll just use the BB adapters I bought from partsrack.  They're about a 2" inch spacer.  It that doesn't work I'll just run the fat tires on front at the mile and half mile.  (since the skinnies aren't really gonna be much good at stopping the car anyway.  1/4 mile doesn't get too fast (170mph?) and lots of room to stop.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 10:49:53 PM by RTTTTed » Logged
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2012, 10:57:34 PM »

Thought you might be interested in the option of a Turbo blanket.  Think the cost was about $400 each. 

I plan to build a heat shield to go between the Intake pipe and the exhaust pipe since they run so close together and side by side.
jtin

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2012, 01:42:21 AM »

I think it will still be hard to fab up the pipping to mount the filters there. Gonna have many bends in the pipes and 3'' will be hard to fit. Also my oil drains are not gonna help either.  Most likely where they are gonna end up. Not looking forward to this part or the project.

Here are some more pics. I put threaded inserts to hold my heat sheilds into place. As well as the fender wells. Be much easier to remove them in the future vs rivets.

I did the oil pan mod. Welded a bung on the inside of the pan. Mounted the scavenge pump, and ran my oil lines threw the frame. Also welded some pipe to the holes I drilled threw the frame for added strenght as well as to prevent cutting the oil lines. You can also see my mini tanks under the turbos.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 02:03:23 AM by jtin » Logged
jtin

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2012, 01:43:33 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 43 Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines | Theme by nesianstyles | Buttons by Andrea