The VIPER Garage
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 18, 2018, 05:01:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Pick Your ViperGarage Theme
Forum Stats
24598 Posts in 1931 Topics by 788 Members
Latest Member: Blitz8282
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
The VIPER Garage  |  Miscellaneous Discussions  |  All Brand Events  |  RACE the Base, World Top Speed Challenge
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: RACE the Base, World Top Speed Challenge  (Read 11571 times)
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« on: March 03, 2012, 12:30:13 PM »

This event is being held for the second time at 4 wings Cdn Air Force base in Cold Lake, Alberta the last weekend of August.  2010 was the first attempt at this type of event.  There was a huge exotic car representation at this event.  Ferraris and Lamborghinis were the "norm" at this event with and and Enzo that had more than a couple million dollars worth of modifications was the lead supercar of the event with a feature event being a race between Zahir Rahan's (ZR Auto) World's Fastest Ferrari and a CF18.  Never have I seen so many exotics in person.  A Spyker, a new (at that time) Mercedes SLS and a week old Voodoo ACR attended.  The owner of a Mercedes SLR told me that he had expected more from his supercar and an S7 had some extra smoke when it returned from a run.  The owner of the Saleen S7 also brought out his Lamborghini MC12, another of the rarest, fastest (nearly as fast as the Viper ACR at the Nurbugring) supercars on the planet.  He later removed the spoiler and tried for a faster speed.  :idk:

Besides the Rare Ferraris my childhood dream car (A Countach) was in attendence as well as a Heffner 1000hp Murci.  4GTRs and 4 ZR1s were parked in the line up.  Although those particular models are "hyped" no one paid attention and the 290kph top speed of a slightly modified GTR didn't cut it for most watchers.  A crate Hemi'd 70 GTX was there and a newer modified Camaro managed 265kph in the 1.8mi run.  I believe the 70 GTX crate Hemi was slightly faster.

My friend Darryl Weflen (GTS) did the best of the 5 Vipers that did participate with a 316kph speed and close behind him was Louie Geirstorfer with 307kph from his Paxton 657rwhp SRT10.  My 720rwhp GTS was in the parking lot and I attended the event on a press pass (that's another story).  This event was written up in several magazines including 10 pages of a European Supercar mag and is on TV with Discovery Channel.  The Armed Forces supplied a Helicopter for the TV crew.  I've watched Darryl donut off the runway 4 times on Daily Planet (a science show) and the event is one of the Wings series of TV shows.

The event was great and Filet Mignon, stuffed Mushrooms and Tiger prawns were on the participants menu buffet.  Army Tents, monster digital TV screens, Tanks, remote bomb robots, planes, missiles, etc were all on display.  The city of Cold Lake was shutdown for a "Dream Weekend Car Show".  Another Car Show is held in front of the Banquet/Awards ceremony held in Bonnieville.  Last year passenger rides were auctioned off and prices as high as $10,000 were paid for a ride in a Hefner Lamborghini.  Huge money is going to Charity from this event.  $1150 from each Car entered and all of the gate tickets awill be donations and tax receipts issued.

Last years events ...http://vipernation.com/?p=665
1999 1200rwhp TT GTS - ART, 2001 Roe sc GTS- (4 sale), 440 Duster restomod (sold), 3x Stealth TTs, 92 Daytona IROC with T3, 580whp/1080wtq Cummins pickup.
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 10:55:15 PM »

I plan to do my best to see that Viper is the winner of the World's Fastest Supercar title.  Competeing against several modified cars of more than a million dollars of value I am definitely the Underdog.  I have invited American Racing Technologies/ART and asked them to bring the "Balista" (World's Fastest Streetcar at the Texas Mile) and they did express interest.  They said that if they do come they'd be happy to adjust my tune and help me anyway they can ... which is what Kirk Schwartz said they did for him.

August is a ways away, but I'm going to assume that there might be 3 Vipers represented at the event.  If someone buys my Sapphire GTS before then ... they could be entered and they should finish as second fastest Viper?  It's possible that Joel may get his 8-900rwhp Supercharged TT GTS out.  Simms said he would like to attend an event like this so I'll send him an email so he knows it's ON this summer!  

The entry fee this year is HUGE, but it is a massive fundraising event and expects to raise a lot more money for Veteran's Survivors, Hospitals etc. again this year.

http://www.theprovince.com/cars/Ferrari+Enzo+take+fighter+jets+again/4562358/story.html?cid=megadrop_story
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 11:21:59 PM by RTTTTed » Logged
1999 1200rwhp TT GTS - ART, 2001 Roe sc GTS- (4 sale), 440 Duster restomod (sold), 3x Stealth TTs, 92 Daytona IROC with T3, 580whp/1080wtq Cummins pickup.
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 11:00:08 PM »

So Hennessey is bringing a couple of 1500hp Lambos to Alberta?  If they're bhp my 1250rwhp should be equal? 

BIG Boys are coming to this event.  The 900hp Ferrari Enzo lost to a 1000hp Saleen S7 last event.  The Enzo went to Germany and the $2,000,000 value of the upgrades went even higher.  Brabus is the shop? 

Hennessey is listed on the website as a sponsor.

I will be there with my GTS on race gas tune.  The Viper in ALL the Videos of Race the Base is Darryl Weflen's (ADRLN) and he indicated that he'll be working his tune to be able to go.

http://www.racethebase.ca/
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 10:55:14 PM »

Oh oh, it looks like All us Viper owners are going to second place after a FORD GT  TT & SC.  Waiting for responses to a few emails I sent out but it seems that the FGT that Kirk warned me to watch out for has raised the mark in the Texas mile at 257mph!

Wow,t was only a few years ago that SVS was struggling at 232mph and now ...

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/03/26/ford-gt-sets-standing-mile-record-at-257-mph/?intcmp=features

Thanks for keeping us up to date!

Ted
BADACR

Currently.... waiting on a motor!

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 01:34:37 PM »

Can't wait to be there this year! I sure hope your viper takes some impressive wins as well!
Paxton blown ACR
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 05:17:57 PM »

Thanks for the vote of confidence Sheldon!

As soon as I get back from MM and SSCC I plan to change the 5th and 6th gears for the RtB event.  Figure if I up my 6th to .6 ratio that should give me a 259mph top speed with 26" strret tires.  Higher than that with 28" tires.

I'm trying to figure out if I will have an advantage by adding a Venom rear spoiler (like yours) or a larger ducktail like NASCAR and Daryl W. has for high speed advantages?  Maybe I'll send an email to Herb (Grailkeeper) as he holds a world land speed record so he probably knows if the ducktail would lower CD or raise it ...

Ted
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 08:57:39 AM »

:D  Great news.  Race the Base is a go!

Willowbrook Chrysler sponsored my entry fee for Aug 24/25.

Dodge is going to have at least 4 representatives now. 

Speaking to one of the organizers ...  My car will be one of the contenders for highest powered car.  A 1300hp Supra will be there.  A few 1000hp Hefners will also be there ...

I thought Mark Capener was going to be there, but he's not registered.

RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 09:00:55 PM »

After researching and speaking to some Partsrack T56 experts I've removed the .8 and .54 OD gears.  I've investigated taller tires.  Partsrack found me some 28.6" tires that have the same circumfrence (within 1.4%) street tires  as my Hoosier R100s at a very reasonable price.  I'll probably upgrade to them over the winter. 

29" tall racing tires would work for me.  I've sent out a few emails as I could easily modify the frame in front of the tires to fit 29" tires on my car.   Problem is getting tires rated to over 200mph in the size I need/want.
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 01:41:36 PM »

AAArgh!  I struck out on Tires.  I couldn't find any high strength OD gears (excepting the ones I have) and no high strength higher rear gear set for a Super 44.

With my top speed at 218mph, I think a couple of the multmillion dollar cars will catch me  :-\  With high strength rear gears of 2.91s I expect that I would have turned in the fastest times.  ahhh.

I installed my GForce T56 back into my car and Oh no, the hydraulic slave cylinder is cracked (but not visibly) and after buying, shipping and recieving the wrong throw out bearing I ordered the Unique Viper piece from Red Deer Alberta and arranged for it to arrive in WL Sunday afternoon.  Looking like I'll be driving out to Wms Lk and back to pick it up for my Sunday drive - in the Sapphire GTS.  (8 hours). 

I did get a licensed mechanic to come over and do the required safety inspection on my car yesterday.  It really didn't take very long since my car is still up on blocks and I removed the wheels before he came over. 

Ted
CaptnCrash

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 05:04:32 PM »

AAArgh!  I struck out on Tires.  I couldn't find any high strength OD gears (excepting the ones I have) and no high strength higher rear gear set for a Super 44.

With my top speed at 218mph, I think a couple of the multmillion dollar cars will catch me  :-\  With high strength rear gears of 2.91s I expect that I would have turned in the fastest times.  ahhh.

I installed my GForce T56 back into my car and Oh no, the hydraulic slave cylinder is cracked (but not visibly) and after buying, shipping and recieving the wrong throw out bearing I ordered the Unique Viper piece from Red Deer Alberta and arranged for it to arrive in WL Sunday afternoon.  Looking like I'll be driving out to Wms Lk and back to pick it up for my Sunday drive - in the Sapphire GTS.  (8 hours). 

I did get a licensed mechanic to come over and do the required safety inspection on my car yesterday.  It really didn't take very long since my car is still up on blocks and I removed the wheels before he came over. 

Ted

There are dana 60's available for Viper.  Not sure where to get them any more, checked snake oyl they used to sell them, but no more.  They might know where to get them if you ask nice.

See this article :

http://www.vipercentral.com/articles/vipergtsrcd.htm

C/P
To boldly go where no Viper has gone before, Chrysler welcomed many original-equipment suppliers to its in-house effort. The transmission, for example, is a racing version of the Viper's Borg-Warner T-56 six-speed. The rear differential is a big Dana 60 with an aluminum case, specifically designed for the Viper GTS-R's tremendous torque (more than 650 pound-feet on the optional engines).
-------------

You can get a wide range of high strength gears for a D60 and it's simply a bigger stronger version of a 44.  I'd be looking for one of these if you're worried about the rear end or need gears you can't get with a 44.

--CC
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 06:11:27 PM »

Thanks Bud.

I just invited SRT to bring their new 2013 GTS (showing in California today) to RacetheBase to pose beside the new Ferrari, the new Lamborghini Aventador etc.  Ralph Gilles raced against Zahir Rahan (World's Fastest Ferrari) at the Newfoundland Targa last fall.  Seems that Zahir's Ferrari Enzo has well over $2,000,000 spent on modifications.  What I would have done to have a 'geared' Dana 60 in my car for this event...  Pretty sure I would have cleaned up. 

Twin's Turbo Motorsports used a custom build Ford 9" in the Griffin TT GTS. 

RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 06:27:39 PM »

RtB admin asked who wants Rick Mercer to drive their car.  I said I'd let ride in the passenger seat, but NO, he can't drive it.  Rick Mercer is going to do one of his TV show on this event.
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 06:37:06 PM »

Today I handled getting the clutch release bearing assy on it's way here so I can finish my tranny installation.  Sunday I'll arrange for it to get here.

I went over my car trailer.  Flat tire so I jacked up the MT trailer and pulled the tire.  Inside is thin on tread and I couldn't find any leak so I removed the tire, spun it inside to the outside and replaced it.  The other driver's side tire was worn through the cords on the inside and the tread was low, so I replaced that one with a new Car tire.  Other tires are OK.
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 05:37:29 PM »

Transmission fixed, clutch release slave broken.  Certainly was fun driving the TT down the highway at 4am last night though.  Can't fix clutch slave (inside clutch) and it takes about a week to get a slave then it needs to be bored out because of the larger input shaft of my GForce tranny.   :'( 

Today I'm waiting for the tranny guy (licensed mechanic) to come over and do my safety inspection.  Found a cracked rotor so I changed out the dimpled/slotted for stockers and I flushed all the Dot 4 Brake fluid for new fluid.  Greased all the suspension.  Installed the Sirius radio and checked Gas.  Changing tires around between cars.  Oil and filter changed.  Was going to change spark plugs but they're fresh as of last month.  Checked the blower oil (good) and the antifreeze (also good).  Started packing my racesuit, helmet etc. and it'll be luggage time soon.

TNT is bustin his asp designing Viper Garage windshield decals and a logo for the rear hatch glass.  (You gotta wait for the pics).  TNT found the logo and I BOUGHT IT so that there won't be any law suit threats.  It's impressive.  2 people have ordered theirs already and they aren't even made yet. 

We'll be putting on a good show at RacetheBase and will finish near the top.  Not within the top 3 (like the TT would have done) but probably top 10 or so. 
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2012, 01:19:51 PM »

:2thumbsup:  Looks like we finished 5th fastest.  There was a 1400whp FGT that had several issues.  Fastest Car was a full race supra that first lost it's bumper (thanks to racer tape it ran again).  Logo on door said, "We take Pizza delivery seriously".  Unfortunately Dom's Supra also dropped the nose while setting the fastest time of the Day at 380kph while racing the CF18 jet.  Second nose drop smashed the Charge pipe from 5" to 2" flatness!  Not going to be able to deliver the next Pizza.  Dom was a great guy and lent me a jack and tools when I needed to replace my U-joint in one of my rear axles!  Guy in a Audi R8 V10 (slightly modded) lent me a jack and a wrench to tighten my Ujoint straps first thing in the morning of race day.  Mostly a great bunch of guys there and 70 cars turned out.  90% were exotics.

One interesting thing was that I watched the Lotus exige race a Lamborghini and althought the Lotus pulled a lead off the starting line ...  I think the Lamborghini caught him but it was too close to tell ...

2 1500hp Lamborghinis were impressive, but not even close to the 1300hp Supra.  Guess the all wheel drive slows them tremendously at speed?  The AWD Lambos were interesting to watch during the Drift competition.  They didn't seem to beat any disadvantage because of the All Wheel Drive.  They spun out as fast as the Ferraris, S7 and even myself.  I'd done a wet drift when I was in Detroit (but no instructor then) so I had an advantage and did better than most competitors - I think.  I only got cones once and a couple times I felt like Ken Block with my nose drifting around the figure 8 and then perfectly around the end cone.  But it was only momentary and the best drift was when I actually touched cones   :(   The Drift instructor said I'd get it with just a tiny bit more practise.  Anyonme know where the run a watertruck and allow drifting?   :idk:

Anyone going into a drift comp.  that doesn't know how to drift ...  if you spin out, try to make it a quick donut, but don't stop.  Points are usually awarded for skill ... and entertainment value.  Stopped for a few minutes is not entertainment.  Stalling your engine (3 cars in my group stalled their engines) in the middle of a drift is bad.

The entry fee for this event was $3200 and since I'd already invested nearly 2 months labor and nearly $6K in the transmission, tires, brakefluid, safety inspections, etc. I asked for a sponsor to pay the entry.  Out of 70 cars only 2 Vipers were entered.  That's less than 3% of supercars in representation by dodge/Viper.  I asked several Dealerships in Alberta to sponsor.  They said, "We sponsor a soccer team"  or, "It's too far."  It was only a coupe hundred miles for them, 2000mile for me there and back.  I was gonna pass.  Willowbrook Chrysler (Doug Seal) is one our Western Canada Viper Dealerships and he sent a few gifts to Viper Club Events when I was in that club (supporting the club).  I mentioned to Doug what I'd planned for Race the Base event and might be the fastest Car there with my TT when I stopped in to visit my friends at the VCA Father's Day Mission Car show (stories on www.vipernation.com for that event).  Doug sent me an email and paid the entry fee.  More than 33% went to Various charities and that why the cost was so large ... supporting disabled Veterans etc.  Although my Clutch release slave cylinder failed when I finally got my TT GTS tranny finished and upgraded I switched the new tires to the Roe Supercharged GTS and took that instead.  Drove it there, replaced a U-Joint (thanks TNT) during the event and then drove it home.  Doug came along and used the $500 VIP pass the entry included.  I wrote the organizers and got Trevor a Press Pass so he could shoot the pics for a story since I was in the car most of the time and not allowed to carry the camera.  We all had a blast and the car performed better than we expected.   We were fast and we were popular.  There was a 99 Paxton GTS, but no one said anything about it and the guy was snobbish so everyone ignored him.  He made Viper owners look bad and wasn't displaying his car, wasn't speaking or friendly to anyone.  Robert and I worked hard to make up for him.  There were Trev's and another Grey GTS that were there, not attending.  Markus came by to visit and gave us our high speed.  Awesome.
?SRT.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 11:01:17 PM by RTTTTed » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines | Theme by nesianstyles | Buttons by Andrea