The VIPER Garage
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2018, 07:16:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome to the updated Viper Garage.  We look forward to exchanging stories, events, tech info, pictures and fun.  Welcome to our humble Viper Home
Pick Your ViperGarage Theme
Forum Stats
24622 Posts in 1936 Topics by 835 Members
Latest Member: viper007
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
The VIPER Garage  |  Miscellaneous Discussions  |  All Brand Events  |  SSCC/Nevada Open Road Rally
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SSCC/Nevada Open Road Rally  (Read 11624 times)
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2012, 07:47:48 PM »

Here's the starting line with my car at the first halfmile run I got.

1999 1200rwhp TT GTS - ART, 2001 Roe sc GTS- (4 sale), 440 Duster restomod (sold), 3x Stealth TTs, 92 Daytona IROC with T3, 580whp/1080wtq Cummins pickup.
jtin

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2012, 11:59:36 PM »

Very impressive numbers Ted. :bow: Sorry to hear about the tranny. If you did a gforce in with 950 whp makes me wonder about my stock t56?

Looks like your having lots of fun down. Wish I could be there.
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2012, 12:25:29 AM »

:idk:  Really too bad you guys didn't come.  Joe is having a great time.  Trevor and Terri flew home tonight and they had a blast.  Trev said he's game for next year, Race the Base and maybe the SSCC Fall event.   We all had a blast as we do whenever we go anywhere and participate in anything.  What makes us Car Guys is our common interests.  Most other car guys are easy to get a long with.  Politicians are what most of us have issues enjoying ???

I think that the Mustang guys and our small groups efforts were appreciated here.  There was quite a few guys that came up to me and wanted to talk as soon as they saw me this year and I went over and talked to the facctory Buick guys and several others this week.  Heard some good stories and spoke a few myself  :lol:  The Buick guys really had a time this event.  They were testing their Regal back in Detroit and smoked a wild Turkey!  It put a double dent in their roof starting at the windshield.  They shipped their cars here and during the race they smoked a bird with the front bumper.  I shot some pics of the feathers in the side vent and the big blood spot on their car.   :-\    One of the Calgary Mustang teams smashed a bird and it was still tucked under the unbroken headlight on the filler panel behind the bumper!  Another team hit a squirrel.  But there were several million bugs killed by the cars that sped through clouds of them when they were flying across the hwy.  Trev said that all the smashed bugs on Joe's Viper were hit in one group and none the rest of the 90 mile rally.

Joel, it seems that our trannies are pretty good and under 1000 hp they're supposed to be OK, unless you drop the clutch on wrinkle slicks too often. Sheldon said that JonB recommended upgrading the Gen 2 trannies with a couple hundred bucks worth of Gen 3 parts (forged shift forks and brass tips?) for a stronger tranny.  GForce sells gear kits to increase the strength of our trannies and I've been told that the weak spot of the T56 is the 5th gear.  These trannies are what is used in nearly all North American perrformance cars.

Kirk said that at 1500whp there is a lot of breakage to be expected, but I bought this particular car because of the CV joint Mark Williams axles, rear diff, Quafie, billet yokes, chrome moly driveshaft, GForce tranny, etc etc.  Not sure why the tranny failed, but hopefully I can fix it cheaply.  It is interesting that Sheldon's T56 started grinding 5th at less than 30,000mi.  Also interesting that he rebilt the tranny, replaced the 5, 6 and reverser gears and it still ground.  I spoke to a guy at Mojave that said his Challenger T56 also grinds into 5th.  Never heard that was a problem before.  The T56 in my Sapphire has a few miles on it and it works flawlessly even though it has 800bhp.

I'm really hoping that once I get this car sorted out, tuned a little better and fix the tranny it will be bullet proof and reliable. 

1999 1200rwhp TT GTS - ART, 2001 Roe sc GTS- (4 sale), 440 Duster restomod (sold), 3x Stealth TTs, 92 Daytona IROC with T3, 580whp/1080wtq Cummins pickup.
CaptnCrash

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2012, 05:36:01 AM »

If that challenger was a late model LC chassis car then it's a T6060 like the Gen IV / V Vipers.  I have an '09 SRT8 6spd and it never grinds anything.  It does shift stiff though until it warms up which doesn't take long in FL.
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2012, 08:19:10 AM »

Yah, you're right.  It was an older new model Challenger.  Seems like they're getting old now that they've been out for ...   4 years?
CaptnCrash

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2012, 06:35:08 AM »

Yah, you're right.  It was an older new model Challenger.  Seems like they're getting old now that they've been out for ...   4 years?

2008 First LC based Challenger.  2009 first 6spd models all 2008's were slush-boxes.  I wonder how long they build them before they quit again.  They do sell a lot of them, I see bunches of them around all the time.  Most are R/T's.
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2012, 08:01:10 AM »

They'll sell them until they update them?  Must be difficult to sell a retro car that already is popular because of it's "LOOK"?   The Camaros are selling well although most of them are V6s that I've seen.

The new Viper is a refinement of the retro ideas of Shelby's AC Cobra, Daytona coupe and the other earlier generations of Viper.  You'll notice that although it got the new grille treatment ... it went back to the side scallops ... 

Not sure how they could upgrade the Chally without hurting the looks and sales.  Guess they're trying though/
?
JonB - PartsRack

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2012, 12:05:19 PM »

Ted, I am jealous of your Ted and Joe's Excellent Adventure...

I dont know if you realize that the OLD  207mph open-roan Guiness book record was held by a fellow NW Viper Owner, Chuck Shaffer.....(deceased)  You met his navigator Gary Bockman here at PIR. It was their Nascar Lebaron that just got defeated by the 06 Charger.

I actually think that Chuck had a hand in that Charger before he met his untimely death [on a farm tractor at 3 mph........]   

Did you meet Big Frank McKinnon there?  Mustang racer and good frisnd from Portland...

Glad you are safe....

jonB~~~~:<~
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2012, 11:00:20 AM »

I didn't know that Jon.  Always enjoy that other Viper owners are doing so well in competition.  Is it that Viper owners become winners ... or winners buy Vipers? 

I find it amazing that Dodge does so well in so many race events - but there is only minimal participation from our "Dodge Brothers".  No one is surprised when one of the Vette's wins a class because there are usually 30% vettes competeing.  I find it interesting that with only a few Dodges competeing we dominate the winners circle of the speed events. 

There was a LOT of Mustangs there.  New and old with the mid seventies being the most common.  I drove a Monte Carlo team's truck and trailer to the finish line - and he ended up breaking 8 miles after the start.  Then his friend switched trucks and trailers and I drove HIS trailer to Ash Springs and parked it beside his 77 Mustange Cobra II (even he had a Mustang).  That guy won a trophy and it was mentioned that he's been doing this race for many years.  Finally he won a class award.  Don't think I met Big Frank.

There was 1 failure (Supra) and 1 breakdown (Twin's Viper) at the Mojave Mile.  The Lamborghini and My Viper broke down at the Halfmile Shootout.  Understood that there was the Monte Carlo, Blue's RX7, 2 vettes and a Camaro or two that broke down on the Rally course.  No one hurt these events.  Trevor and I were ready in case anything happened in our new Firesuits :hayes:
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2012, 11:01:45 AM »

Joe and Trevor at the medal finish line turning in their radios.

RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2012, 11:33:25 AM »

On the way home I decided to give the Grandson driving lessons in the Mall parking lot.  I was wondering why he was driving all over the place until I looked at the driving pics and realized he couldn't see past the dashboard ....     :headscratch:    He'll do better next time though.

Always glad when I have the opportunity to visit my family as it doesn't seem to happen much lately ...

« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 11:42:37 AM by RTTTTed » Logged
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2012, 11:57:33 AM »

Before leaving Vegas I asked Joe if he'd park his Viper on the sidewalk in front of the old covered wagon of the garden.  Sam's Town has a lot of upscale items besides the 18 theaters, $30 rooms, $10 buffets and decent coffee.  This was just beside the Parking Garage 2 entrance and the elevators.  Joe met a security guy in the garage and got permission to drive onto the sidewalk for pics. 

Joe pulled into a rest stop in Oregon and I asked him to move to the "view" area for a couple pics...

RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2012, 12:42:30 PM »

:D  For comparison MY Sapphire/silver Viper GTS on way to the Laker's Spring Roundup last weekend day after I got home with my busted tranny TT Viper still in the trailer.

RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2012, 12:31:40 PM »

Trevor (TNT) and Joe (lilbro) after the finish line.  That looks like several million bugs they killed ...

RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2012, 03:11:37 PM »

Blown caddillac CVS (?)  

« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 03:14:39 PM by RTTTTed » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines | Theme by nesianstyles | Buttons by Andrea