The VIPER Garage
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2019, 09:10:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome all new users to The Viper Garage - please read the site introduction in the Announcements
Pick Your ViperGarage Theme
Forum Stats
25539 Posts in 2241 Topics by 1134 Members
Latest Member: Viperguy00
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
The VIPER Garage  |  Generation-specific Viper Forums  |  RT/10 & GTS Viper Discussions  |  Venom Spoiler
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Venom Spoiler  (Read 3147 times)
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« on: November 07, 2010, 03:34:38 PM »

Hennessey is controversial so nothing about him OK?

I bought a Venom spoiler for my GTS because they are the only one that fits the bodystyle without changing it.  The soft curves of the loop spoiler blend into the car's bodylines.  A good look at the shape and it becomes obvious that it would add some downforce to the rear at speed even though it doesn't have a Gurney lip like most functional/racing spoilers.  After some design research I've learned that although a small shape change, the 'bumps' at the outside of the middle spoiler section will be functional to prevent some "spill off" air flow.  Spill off is the Air that 'spills' off the sides of the spoiler around corners causing the spoiler to lose effectiveness around corners which is where the spoilers are actually needed the most. 

So the spoiler being functional and a good design without blocking the rear view from the driver's seat it seemed all GOOD.  I called my friend Larry Macedo (Macedo Motorsports) and ordered the spoiler.  (JonB has cheaper, similar spoilers).   It arrived a while later and it was obvious that I'd need to do some bodywork as it was a little rough, but nothing serious.  What amazed me was that it weighed almost nothing.  Carbon Fiber is amazing stuff.  Before I got around to finishing the body and paint on the venom spoiler I bought a 2000 ACR that had a Venom spoiler installed.  It looks awesome!  I am sure that the spoiler works as I received an email from a fellow Viper Veno owner stating that the effects of the Venom worked excellent in the rain for keeping the car straight - something I agree with but never would figure out without someone stating that to me.  Focusing my brain on what a strange comment that was I did notice the difference in heavy rains at high speeds.

This new GTS body was equipped with a Paxton supercharger and Hiflow Cats with Corsa exhaust I expected 20mpg like my Roe supercharged GTS.  What I actually got was only 19.6 at 50mph.  At 90mph in mexican Nevada I managed 18.5mpg.  In my Roe supercharged GTS without a Venom spoiler I average 20 mpg at 50 mph and the same mileage at 95mpg.  I am assuming that the Venom spoiler is causing the mileage difference with the ACR as the gearing and bodyshape of the GTS seems to be about the same efficiency to at least 95mph.  This conclusion is based on driving from Montana to Detroit and back with myself and 5 other Vipers from Western Washingto. 

I hope to install the Venom spoiler onto my GTS by new summer and then I will add more confirmation to this thread and my views.

Ted
1999 1200rwhp TT GTS - ART, 2001 Roe sc GTS- (4 sale), 440 Duster restomod (sold), 3x Stealth TTs, 92 Daytona IROC with T3, 580whp/1080wtq Cummins pickup.
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 03:49:10 PM »

Raw spoiler

Mounted on ACR (other pics in Vipers for sale forum if interested)

1999 1200rwhp TT GTS - ART, 2001 Roe sc GTS- (4 sale), 440 Duster restomod (sold), 3x Stealth TTs, 92 Daytona IROC with T3, 580whp/1080wtq Cummins pickup.
plumcrazy
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 04:09:19 PM »

i like that spoiler the best on the GTS.

you need a better tune on that paxton car... I get 23+mpg at 80mph with ac on in 90 degree weather :)
Viper GT2

My Gt2, the most famous one #52 of 100

UK Viper Club
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 01:05:25 PM »

I was never sure about that spoiler, I think it was designed in the Uk by a company who produced the original RT/10 hardtop and windows, but I must admit on the red car it just seems to fit right in.

Wonderful car in a great colour, miss my old GTS but when you have a GT2!!! ;D
2004 Mamba White on of 299
1998 Viper GTS/R number 52 of 100 the Justin Bell car
2009 Dodge Ram Laramie 5.7 hemi
2007 Harley Davidson Street Glide Harley Custom Paint
EllowViper

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 05:54:02 PM »

I'd love to pick up the Hennessy aero front for a GEN II.  For some reason, I really like those.
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 06:42:45 PM »

I'd love to pick up the Hennessy aero front for a GEN II.  For some reason, I really like those.

Really?  Personally I don't like the looks of the fronts and I do have a tendency to drag my nose and certainly couldn't run that nose at my Viper's heights. 

I bought the Red/silver Paxton GTS to sell so I havn't added a Roe Racing fascia scoop, but I did install one into my Sapphire GTS for added downforce.

Ted
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 06:47:31 PM »

i like that spoiler the best on the GTS.

you need a better tune on that paxton car... I get 23+mpg at 80mph with ac on in 90 degree weather :)

Really Phil?  What boost level do you run?  When I drove to Detroit with the Wash club all the GTSs (all the others were stock with exhaust) and they got only the tiniest difference in mileage.  We had a 2008 SRT travel with us and he managed to get 22mpg us. 

23mpg is amazing Phil.

Ted
plumcrazy
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 07:03:12 PM »

14lbs here on it and at 13K miles on the build.
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 07:30:25 PM »

What size pulley is that Phil?  That reminds me, you have stock forged pistons still?

Ted
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines | Theme by nesianstyles | Buttons by Andrea