The VIPER Garage
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2020, 12:20:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome to the updated Viper Garage.  We look forward to exchanging stories, events, tech info, pictures and fun.  Welcome to our humble Viper Home
Pick Your ViperGarage Theme
Forum Stats
24993 Posts in 2107 Topics by 1123 Members
Latest Member: Zapp109
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
The VIPER Garage  |  Generation-specific Viper Forums  |  RT/10 & GTS Viper Discussions  |  ACR Engine Build
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: ACR Engine Build  (Read 55702 times)
Adrnln

beat on it like its your little brother !

« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2013, 03:54:44 PM »

We used to do it Here in Edmonton , I have since sold the machine to Jim @ JMJ Enterprises. call 780 220 5348
The only Extrude Hone machine in Canada !
Made a very noticeable difference on the Viper !
Pick up some Evans coolant from him while your at it .

D
BADACR

Currently.... waiting on a motor!

« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2013, 08:57:05 PM »

AWESOME! Thank you sir! I will give him a shout! Does he know the specs on how much to hone on the intake?

We used to do it Here in Edmonton , I have since sold the machine to Jim @ JMJ Enterprises. call 780 220 5348
The only Extrude Hone machine in Canada !
Made a very noticeable difference on the Viper !
Pick up some Evans coolant from him while your at it .

D
Paxton blown ACR
Adrnln

beat on it like its your little brother !

« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2013, 05:10:43 AM »

The intake will be flowed with the hone media to determine the best and worst port, the worst one will then be brought up to flow equall to the best and then beyond , usually 10% or so better . The rest of the intake is then brought up to that spec , the largest gains are from balancing the flow so each cylinder receives an equal amount of air , as cast ports will vary as much as 45% best to worst on the same intake .
It's great on cylinder heads as well , it far surpases what can be achieved by hand porting and even cnc porting will benifit .
BADACR

« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2013, 08:42:04 AM »

Wow! That is very interesting!
I will have to inquire on pricing to get this done!
Paxton blown ACR
BADACR

« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2013, 02:37:31 PM »

The engine is slowly coming along.
The machine shop finish-honed the block, and re measured and I don't need to punch the block out, so that is great news.
The crank is in excellent shape as well.
Rods and pistons will be here next week along with bearings.
My custom grind cam is finished, and we are waiting on a set of Crower 1.7 ratio roller rockers to be built.
Springs, slow bleed lifters and a 14psi pulley are ready to go as well.

I emailed Joel and Teds bearing mod How-To's to the engine builder yesterday to have those mods done while the engine is apart (Thanks guys!).
Other than that, I should have the engine back to me by the end of the month. Then I will need a week or two to get it back in the car, and hopefully trailer to a dyno shop to get Torrie to remote tune!
Getting excited!  :driving: :driving: :driving:
Paxton blown ACR
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2013, 11:11:51 PM »

I hope they used Torque plates?  as much as 40whp extra and it will break in better as well as faster and seal much better.  I would guess that 360/340 torque plates would work.

Not using ported heads?

1999 1200rwhp TT GTS - ART, 2001 Roe sc GTS- (4 sale), 440 Duster restomod (sold), 3x Stealth TTs, 92 Daytona IROC with T3, 580whp/1080wtq Cummins pickup.
EllowViper

« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2013, 04:53:54 AM »

Kinda hard to finish hone the block without having the pistons in hand...you know, exact skirt fitment measurements and all.
BADACR

« Reply #67 on: September 19, 2013, 08:57:28 AM »

I hope they used Torque plates?  as much as 40whp extra and it will break in better as well as faster and seal much better.  I would guess that 360/340 torque plates would work.

Not using ported heads?

Torque plates are only used for boring are they not? My engine did not require boring. Just a hone to ensure the measurements were correct.
And yes, as mentioned they are doing a full port and polish on the heads (it's almost done). They have a CNC guy in house that does the head work.
Paxton blown ACR
jtin

« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2013, 09:09:19 AM »

So are you getting a CNC port job.

What is the rough cost of a CNC port job.
BADACR

« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2013, 09:11:22 AM »

Kinda hard to finish hone the block without having the pistons in hand...you know, exact skirt fitment measurements and all.

It's just standard sized pistons. We had a piston fail, they measured to ensure the block is within its specs. The hone was to ensure there are no issues, and to be ready for re-assembly.
Standard sized pistons have an exact measurement guaranteed by the manufacturer due to the CNC process of their build? If anything oddball happens, they will catch it, they build nothing but race motors so I'm sure it's not their first time building an engine ( I sure hope hahaha).
Paxton blown ACR
BADACR

« Reply #70 on: September 19, 2013, 09:20:12 AM »

I don't know 100% sure if they are CNC porting my heads or hand porting them. The guy doing them is a CNC certified/trained tech, however I don't know if he is doing these by hand or by machine.
ROE racing does the CNC job, and they are about 2700 (includes valves etc I think too?).
This job is going to cost 1500-2000 for mine. He said there is room for a LOT of improvement on these heads.

So are you getting a CNC port job.

What is the rough cost of a CNC port job.
Paxton blown ACR
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #71 on: September 19, 2013, 03:37:29 PM »

Torque plate should be used for everything.  A cylinder hone (usually a CK10 machine) can straighten the slight wear of the bore (it wears only where the rings and pistons skirts move and not evenly).  Your engine has half the miles of mind so it'll be fine I'ms ure.  The Torque plate pulls the block into the shape it is when the heads are bolted on since the bolts pull the cylinders and block out of round.  When the heads are removed the block goes round which is not the true shape of the cylinders.  That is why forged pistons (extremely rigid) actually lose hp.  Cast/hypereutetic pistons are malleable and change into the shape of the cylinders when running.  SRT engineers found a difference of 4 - 40 bhp loss depending on the brand of forged piston. 

Yes, as I said there is a huge improvement when the heads are ported.  Gen 2s are bad and the 60bhp of a Gen 3 is from the heads and 1.7 rockers.  The Gen 3 heads are merely a semi ported Gen 2 head in efficiency.  Once ported the Gen 3 have Beehive springs, 1.7 rockers, .007" larger valves with different shaped "heads" and just smoother/nicer porting.  As long as you don't grind the floor of the ports nearly anybody ccould port a set of Gen 2 heads to surpass the Gen 3 flows - in my opinion.  The finishing of the porting on my heads seems to have mad a large difference in my hp ...  I'm gonna guess 30whp from them already being a mild porting job.  When I ported my heads the first time I wasn't sure of the waterjackets so I was careful and did a mild job to make certaint there would be no issues.  After seeing GG head with the guides and support completely removed from the ports I knew I could grind away so I did a street job and left my guides along but boat shaped them since I don't have a race car and personally like the proper guide length. 
1999 1200rwhp TT GTS - ART, 2001 Roe sc GTS- (4 sale), 440 Duster restomod (sold), 3x Stealth TTs, 92 Daytona IROC with T3, 580whp/1080wtq Cummins pickup.
BADACR

« Reply #72 on: September 20, 2013, 10:14:01 AM »

Thanks Ted.
There really wasn't any wear on the cylinders according to the machinist. Just a re-hone to get ready for assembly.
I hope everything turns out well either way. Thanks for any suggestions you have while it's apart guys!  :bow:
Paxton blown ACR
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #73 on: September 20, 2013, 10:30:15 AM »

It'll be fine Sheldon.  Might be a few horsepower that take a few thousand miles to appear but it's not a big thing.  Near as I remember Joel was going to rent/borrow some honing plates because there was none around the Pacific Northwest but it became too expensive and would have taken a really looong time so he passed on it.

I honed mine in the garage and my wear was minimal.  Rebuilding a slightly worn engine gets the best results because your engine has worn in, heat cycled, etc.
BADACR

« Reply #74 on: September 20, 2013, 10:42:21 AM »

Nothing a bit more boost won't cure hey? LOL! Man I hope the weather holds out for at least 1 drive in the car before snow!
In the same breath, we do have the sleds ready to go :driving:
Paxton blown ACR
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 25 Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines | Theme by nesianstyles | Buttons by Andrea