The VIPER Garage
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2018, 02:46:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome all new users to The Viper Garage - please read the site introduction in the Announcements
Pick Your ViperGarage Theme
Forum Stats
24619 Posts in 1934 Topics by 826 Members
Latest Member: scottyv10
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
The VIPER Garage  |  All Other Cars  |  New Supercars  |  TT Ford GT at the Mile
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: TT Ford GT at the Mile  (Read 2814 times)
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« on: June 25, 2012, 02:57:31 PM »

Here's Chip's Hennessey Twin Turbo FGT.  New engine and 1080rwhp on slicks and C16 race gas tune.

Chip had expected a 222mph pass and ended with several 212mph passes at the Mojave Mile.  After about the 5th run Chip's car was at the time slip booth and the rear of his car was surrounded by white smoke.  He shut it down, loaded it back into his trailer and headed home to Arizona.  Later he emailed me that the boost controller on one of the Turbos stuck and the other Turbo was overworked creating all the boost for the engine which caused the worked Turbo to come apart!  Bad news, but good luck when Chip pulled the car apart he found the engine to be unharmed!  He did need to remove the entire intake to removed and clean all the broken turbo parts from it.  But a saved engine is a good engine!!!

Chip runs a Ford GT forum and it was good meeting him.  He said that his engine was rebuilt, but with stock pieces (after one of the roller rockers snapped and the needle bearings went through the engine). 
1999 1200rwhp TT GTS - ART, 2001 Roe sc GTS- (4 sale), 440 Duster restomod (sold), 3x Stealth TTs, 92 Daytona IROC with T3, 580whp/1080wtq Cummins pickup.
DarcShadow

Fort Worth Motorcycle Riders
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 11:33:48 AM »

Man those are good looking cars. Wish they would of made them a few more years and go the price down closer to Vipers. That'd be the one car that I'd consider trading my Viper for.
I refuse to tip toe through life only to arrive safely at death.
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 07:20:01 PM »

:D  It was the Government's fault that they quit.  Apparently the side impact wasn't what the Gov wanted and the entire car would have had to have been redesigned to conform to the Gov crash testing requirements.  With 4 cars and a cost of $5,000,000 for the safety rating tests it's not much wonder Ford quit and Viper was put up for sale for a short while.  The Gov did rewrite some of theire requirements that stopped the FGT, but only for small companies of less than 500 units per year is what I was told.  That saved the Saleen S7, the Hennessey Venom GT and a few other supercars, but sure wasn't any help for SRT, Chev or Ford.

I have to agree with you ...  a Ford GT is defintely a car that would be second to the Viper GTS for me as well.  If I was a Ford guy I might have chosen a FGT if they were built in comparable numbers to the Viper.  Being a Dodge guy ... the FGT is definitely second place in my book.  Although it seems that they are posting the fastest numbers and beating our Vipers at the Mile events ... I was told how much money was being spent to go that fast.  I think that a Viper could go as fast or faster with the same money.  However, I'm still struggling with the concept of unlimited funding  :headscratch:

Chip said that his engine and trans were all stock parts.  Absolutely amazing.  My engine even has thicker cylinder sleeves to prevent distortion and everyone know that a Viper engine doesn't live long after only 800whp unless the maincaps and con rods are upgraded.  Very impressive.  That the trannies can take over 1100whp is mind boggling!  I have NO plans to trade my GTS for a FGT.
1999 1200rwhp TT GTS - ART, 2001 Roe sc GTS- (4 sale), 440 Duster restomod (sold), 3x Stealth TTs, 92 Daytona IROC with T3, 580whp/1080wtq Cummins pickup.
DarcShadow

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 07:23:22 AM »

Was it here, or "the other site", someone posted a video of a GT at the Texas mile setting a new record for a "street legal" car. I think it hit 242mph. Crazy thing in the video, it was from inside the car and the driver looked like he was just out for a Sundy drive. Very calm and uneventful video.
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 10:08:30 AM »

Hennessey built a 1800whp camoflage colored FGT and posted a video.  257mph in the Mile.

Unfortunately that was faster that the previous record set by ART's 'Ballista'  TT 06 Viper coupe.  Todd told me that they achieved 262+MPH during their testing.  I think that since ART is doing NARRA and other Viper racing venues they don't have time to get the Ballista out there and set the record again ... 

Todd said that they're opening a new Public shop in Colorado soon and perhaps they'll bring the Ballista out for record setting again?

Chip is a friend of the world's fastest FGT owner and he emailed me that money is no object with that FGT and Chip expects that it's going to be a LOT fastest the next time it comes out.
DarcShadow

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 11:09:59 AM »

nice
VIPER BAZ UK

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 01:58:39 PM »

But its a ford with a F150 motor LOL...... FORD=Fixed Or Repaired Daily

Very nice cars but they are Wide Jeramy Clarkson had one annd caused traffic jams as it was to wide for a width restriction at one of the London bridges

They look awsome in the gulf colours.... They still fetch real strong £££s here in the UK
Support Tators

2009 1/1 Solid white ACR Hardcore
cangts40

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 02:45:28 PM »

The speed record of the GT in my area is 215mph. The GT has the X2 package with stock engin.

My stock GEN3 Viper hit 188mph. (the day after I had an order to change my diff to 3.28 so I can hit 200mph next time).

The only problem with the GT is its tranny. There is a design flow between the gears and the sync rings.
It is only a matter of time before these expensive GT trannies brake. We spent 2-3 months searching for tranny parts. Finally in April we found a precision welder but since the car has never been on a race track. Tranny worths around $20K.

My choice after the Viper would be a GT.

This mile run took place 3 years ago. It took 4 years planning. We were 3 crazy guys organizing the event. I am the only one left :( (Political problems) I wish we could have a mile run every year. At 8AM we were only 12 cars registered at 4PM after several calls we were 29 cars. People still ask me when the next mile run will take place. :) 
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 02:53:34 PM by cangts40 » Logged
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 06:07:10 PM »

http://vipernation.com/?p=1021  Mojave Mile story.

I went 215mph in 5/8 of a mile (Top gear was .75OD).  At Ely I went 175.5mph in the Halfmile shootout.  Both Mojave Mile and Ely are at altitude and a stock 08 went 162mph while a DC Perf Paxton 750whp 2006 coupe went 195mph. with 3:55s.  Ely was at 6,500' of elevation and neither place allowed burnouts to warm the tires ...

Where and when are you going to host another mile event?   

PittsburghRT

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 07:52:01 PM »

I think Chips car was built by Heffner.
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 08:44:03 PM »

Chip said that when the rocker broke and dropped the needle bearings into the engine he shipped the car to "the world's best FGT engine builder" in Detroit and had the engine redone.  If you mean who installed the Hennessey TT kit ...  I don't know.  Chip seemed to have a opinion of Hennessey. 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines | Theme by nesianstyles | Buttons by Andrea