The VIPER Garage
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 21, 2019, 06:54:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome all new users to The Viper Garage - please read the site introduction in the Announcements
Pick Your ViperGarage Theme
Forum Stats
24628 Posts in 1941 Topics by 850 Members
Latest Member: Keith
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
The VIPER Garage  |  All Other Cars  |  SRT vehicles discussion and pics  |  Daytona IROC R/T
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Daytona IROC R/T  (Read 1412 times)
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« on: June 25, 2012, 11:20:37 PM »

One of the rarest of supercars only 432 were produced with the Lotus Double Overhead Cammed T3 2.2 engine.  Digital ignition and a super 60 trim Turbo making 224bhp with a conservative tune.  Many people were disappointed because the DOHC was capable of making huge gobs of hp and instead was a low boost (11psi) low rpm (7K) engine.  While capable of being a world killer and the Spirit R/T (stripper Shelby car) was classed as the "world's fastest 4 door sedan ... the Daytona was loaded with a/c and power everything causing it to be a luxury cruiser.  One reason that it was lower hp than some expected was because there is a thing called warranty and other than the Yamaha V6 engine the T3 engine was the SRT4 and unbelieveable fast (for what it was).  Only 500 sets of the "Ninja wheels" were cast for these cars.

I bought a Red IROC R/T and did some "fixing".  I match ported the intake and exhaust ports and ground the intake's injector bumps unrestricting the ports quite a bit and matchporting required the heads to be ground nearly a 1/4" to align the bad mismatch of the ports.  I added a Cold Air Intake and cone filter.  I installed a 2.5" exhaust in place of the 1 7/8" stock garbage on the car.  Results were amazing and I guess the engine in that car went to nearly 275bhp with "supertuning".  The heads were made in England by Lotus and when assembled in Mexico steel core plugs were installed (which cracked a lot of the heads).  Aluminium heads work best with aluminium core plugs.  Some of the core plugs were screwed in farther than the others and apparently the ones that had a certain amount of threads showing (?) had no issues.  My Red IROC R/T got me a few tickets because it seemed to speed all by itself.  I found one of the 60 Black Daytona R/Ts that were made and bought a spare driveline from another Black IROC R/T that had been de-registered and was being scrapped by a mechanic's school.  With 109,000kms/66,000mi. I thought I was getting a better car.  Alas, I got a cracked head with pickle juice that would only seal the crack for a few days at a time.  I ported the EXTRA Lotus DOHC head I had purchased and then started to change that over.  Still waiting on me for finish that one.
1999 1200rwhp TT GTS - ART, 2001 Roe sc GTS- (4 sale), 440 Duster restomod (sold), 3x Stealth TTs, 92 Daytona IROC with T3, 580whp/1080wtq Cummins pickup.
oldcolt

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 07:26:38 PM »

I had a '90 Shelby Daytona VNT. It was fast for the day. Next to zero turbo lag, but like every car guy, it needed more power. The chassis was like a wet noodle, a six point cage did wonders. The brakes sucked at the track, after 2 laps on the road course they were done. They made 500-600 VNT Daytona's in 1990. 10-12 were in Canada.

I went to the Shelby factory in Calf. to get the "Shelby" valve cover. The factory valve cover did not have enough baffles and the oil would get sucked out of the engine and into the VNT. The vanes would stick and the engine would expire. The Shelby valve cover was used in their SCCA efforts and worked great. I never had any issues with oil being pulled into the turbo.

I still have all four of my 16" ninja stars.......different than Ted's car's wheels though.
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 09:42:21 PM »

Ahhh, the Variable Nozzle Vane Turbos.  The Chrysler engineer's website said that they were a little less power at top end than the T2 engines with less turbo lag.

I didn't read that about the Shelby valve cover and the engines expiring early is another thing I never read/heard about.

My 1988 2.2 Shelby Daytona.  Lowered, mags, 11 sec engine, T roofs, etc.  Direct Connection Super 60 Turbo kit

« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 09:50:22 PM by RTTTTed » Logged
1999 1200rwhp TT GTS - ART, 2001 Roe sc GTS- (4 sale), 440 Duster restomod (sold), 3x Stealth TTs, 92 Daytona IROC with T3, 580whp/1080wtq Cummins pickup.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines | Theme by nesianstyles | Buttons by Andrea