The VIPER Garage
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 19, 2018, 05:18:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome all new users to The Viper Garage - please read the site introduction in the Announcements
Pick Your ViperGarage Theme
Forum Stats
24611 Posts in 1933 Topics by 817 Members
Latest Member: arnytt
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
The VIPER Garage  |  All Other Cars  |  All other Cars and Brands  |  440 Duster
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 440 Duster  (Read 2158 times)
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« on: August 04, 2012, 09:25:40 PM »

Wife called from store and said the diesel and gas fuel pump control systems were 'down'.  I hopped in my Duster and drove the 13 miles to the store.  Replaced the battery and disassembled the face/touch plate.  Reassembled and everything worked again.  I think one of the board connectors was misconnecting.  Hopefully I've fixed it permanently.

Driving down the highway home and the car shuts off.  Dead.  I smell hot wires and stomp the brake, grab the side of the road, run to the trunk and yank the battery post off.  Lotsa sparks!  I open the hood, everything is hot (of course) and I move the wires around, maybe finding a couple touching a post?

Drive down the road about a mile and it shuts down again.  Agains sparks and Battery terminal is hot.  Can't find anything under the hood but the car starts up and off I go.  ... about a mile and I grabe the side of the road, battery disconnect, and can't find anything wrong under the hood again!  This time the key won't energize the starter.  I take a screwdriver and vroom, away I go.   Another mile, back to the side of the road.  Disconnect Battery and then reconnect it because once the sparks stop ... the short circuit is gone.  Obviously an electronic problem.  This time I have no spark.  I bypassed the igniton on the dist side of the resistor, nothing.  I pull the dist cap, but it looks good.  MSD 6+ isn't hot.  I hang around cleaning the engine, manifold, etc.  Wife will be bye in an hour so ...   6 cars went bye and 5 of them stopped to offer help/ride/information/etc.  Told them all I was fine and would only be in trouble if the wife went Full Throttle when she saw me  :lol: :lol: 

I sat in the car and turned on the stereo.  Suddenly, a brainstorm/idea.  I got out, disconnected my upgraded modern 110amp alternator and used my screwdriver in my plugwire to see - SPARK!  :2thumbsup:  I plugged the wire back on the plug, shorted out the starter relay fired the engine and drove home.   :D
1999 1200rwhp TT GTS - ART, 2001 Roe sc GTS- (4 sale), 440 Duster restomod (sold), 3x Stealth TTs, 92 Daytona IROC with T3, 580whp/1080wtq Cummins pickup.
ViperJeff
Administrator

Viper Registry
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 07:41:05 AM »

What a day...

I know this is an old thread.  It's just interesting what reading history brings.  The sights, sounds and roadside tech skills
“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.”
― Winston Churchill
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 08:55:52 AM »

Being another year ...  the Duster is gonna be fired up and taken out of the trailer this week.  Next weekend is Hot Night in the City car show in Kamloops and I have two of my grandkids here now.  Since they live in Kamloops I'm planning to go over the Duster this week and take them home to Kamloops in the Duster and spend the day at the car show.  I didn't use the Duster to do the Anahim Lake Rodeo parade this year and no weddings.  Car has to be used or it will deteriorate.

1999 1200rwhp TT GTS - ART, 2001 Roe sc GTS- (4 sale), 440 Duster restomod (sold), 3x Stealth TTs, 92 Daytona IROC with T3, 580whp/1080wtq Cummins pickup.
C-Note

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 10:12:51 AM »

If you have any car trouble let me know, I will be up there in my Viper truck and can give the old Duster a hand if it needs it. :2thumbsup:
ViperJeff
Administrator

Viper Registry
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 11:34:18 AM »

Sounds like a lot of fun
“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.”
― Winston Churchill
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 04:40:47 PM »

:2thumbsup:
ViperJeff
Administrator

Viper Registry
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 05:16:55 PM »

Oh and as always, we need ( or want) a story
― Winston Churchill
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 11:19:05 PM »

Much as I have my problems ... I prefer when it's ME helping the other guy ...   :P
ViperJeff
Administrator

Viper Registry
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 07:13:00 AM »

It does cost less money that way
― Winston Churchill
Jax92

VCA Medal of Honor winner

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 11:41:37 AM »

Thank God you had your screwdriver with you.  :hayes:
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 12:14:20 PM »

Could have started car with a GM key ... as long as the extra cuts don't stop the key from working on the GM

Screwdriver just activates the starter soldnoid a lot more times than a GM key would.     :D
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 04:49:04 PM by RTTTTed » Logged
ViperJeff
Administrator

Viper Registry
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 03:48:29 PM »

Thank God you had your screwdriver with you.  :hayes:

:lol:
― Winston Churchill
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines | Theme by nesianstyles | Buttons by Andrea