The VIPER Garage
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2019, 06:43:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome to the updated Viper Garage.  We look forward to exchanging stories, events, tech info, pictures and fun.  Welcome to our humble Viper Home
Pick Your ViperGarage Theme
Forum Stats
24628 Posts in 1941 Topics by 850 Members
Latest Member: Keith
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
The VIPER Garage  |  Generation-specific Viper Forums  |  RT/10 & GTS Viper Discussions  |  need suggestions on my shocks/springs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: need suggestions on my shocks/springs  (Read 3247 times)
Leslie
« on: October 21, 2010, 02:02:11 PM »

Problem:

2001 GTS, 60K miles, have rebuilt shocks/springs from Archer Racing.

Driving back from Viper event last weekend and the car is BOUNCING all over the place!  My front end hit numerous times during the weekend, :'(..... trip back to IN was let's say....extremely challenging  haha.  I should have had my helmet on as many times as I hit the roof of the car :D

Probably have 2 full years of track events on them too.

Could they need a rebuild already?

RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 03:17:47 PM »

One drastic bump could ruin a shock, but that would mean that it probably saved smashing the bottom of you car.  Is one side bounding more than the other?  Open the hood and use your hands on the structural parts of the car (steel), push down hard.  If you can move the car down the it indicates by the "rebounding" what action the shocks have on the ride.  If one side is "looser" than the other jack up the car and look for oil residue coming past the seals. 

Since Archer did the rebuild they are the experts on their work.  You need to call them, after you've checked for oil leakage. 

Driving you car sounds bad so you could re-install your old shocks - fi they're good?   Do you have a review on the Archer shocks? 

I know that you use your GTS on the track a lot so I think that it's possible that they are wearing out?  An actual race shock gets the oil in it changed quit often and perhaps yours were supposed to be rebuilt every so often?

Probably send them back to ARcher and get them rebuilt again.  Probably a reasonable cost.

Ted
1999 1200rwhp TT GTS - ART, 2001 Roe sc GTS- (4 sale), 440 Duster restomod (sold), 3x Stealth TTs, 92 Daytona IROC with T3, 580whp/1080wtq Cummins pickup.
plumcrazy
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 04:22:45 PM »

OEM GTS shocks ?

buy a set of takeoffs, im not a fan of rebuilding..

I had the same bouncy ride from NNJ to DLM's shop in south florida with a set of aldans. they got busted and thrown away. bought a set of takeoffs from doug and never looked back.

whatever you do, dont buy aldans !
Leslie
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 04:27:24 PM »

thanks Ted and Phil, great advice!

ok, gonna put it on a lift in the morning. 

oh....Phil they are rebuilt Koni's, I still have my stock ones in case I need to throw those on.
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 06:07:25 PM »

A 'local' '06 coupe had a set of Adlans on his car and with low miles he had two blow the seals on the right side.  He also was unhappy with them.

Ted
1999 1200rwhp TT GTS - ART, 2001 Roe sc GTS- (4 sale), 440 Duster restomod (sold), 3x Stealth TTs, 92 Daytona IROC with T3, 580whp/1080wtq Cummins pickup.
jasontiff
Troublemaker

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 10:38:15 PM »

ART is in the process of cleaning out a bunch of stuff. I remember seeing a bunch of stock shocks up in their storage. If that's all you're looking for I'd give them a buzz.

I have Penskes on my GTS but haven't really had that much seat time. I'd be willing to bet they're set up for drag racing but I haven't even looked that closely at them yet.
2001 Twin Turbo Viper GTS
Leslie
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 06:33:20 PM »

called John Archer, he said he wouldn't be surprised if they need a rebuilt after 2 yrs.

we put it up on the lift today, no oil anywhere on the undercarriage.

gonna do Ted's 'BOUNCE' test tomorrow and a friend of mine is gonna take a front one off and really look at it. 

I have one more track event next weekend at Mid OH and I GOTTA go. 
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 08:05:46 PM »

Changing over to stockers would give you an opportunity to see how they compare Leslie.  The springs removed from the shocks and then they can be adjusted.  Think there's 4 settings for the stock Konis.

Ted
Leslie
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 01:25:52 PM »

Yeh good idea. I lost my mechanic he moved away. Am gonna drive to him and have him put them on if he sees the konis need to be rebuilt.
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 01:35:25 PM »

Don't forget that you need a wheel alignment for height difference.  All 4 shocks should be changed to keep the car balanced.

Ted
Leslie
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 08:16:14 PM »

shoot thanks for reminding me Ted!
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 09:15:36 PM »

Do me a favor and let me know what a 4 wheel alignment costs you.  The normal "clip on mirrors" that look past the nose of the car don't work on Vipers unless the shop has the extentions.  I had to go to the GM Dealer and he charged me $350 the first time.  I went home and was showing my daughter how much stopping power my Roe Racing 14" front brakes had and that was all it took to make the alignment slip.  Next alignment cost me $150 for just the front.  Yup, that lasted for a bit over a week.  Last time I watched him torque the bolts to 75ft#.  I need an outfit that guarantees their work.  Ole Mr. Goodwrench could/would be $700 per year habit?

Ted
Leslie
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 08:49:37 AM »

ok will do, last alignment I had I believe was around $120.
Leslie
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2010, 09:15:13 AM »

I am going to chase down my last mechanic, he worked on my cars for 6 yrs and moved north of me.

He called last night and suggested we look at bushings, wheel bearings, ball joints as well.
It's amazing how much a GenII will take, there were many things on my Z06 that didn't last NEARLY as long as the Viper does.

I believe regular maintenance is key and inspecting all suspension parts on a regular basis if tracking the car.  Also knowing your car, feeling the immediate changes in ride quality, all those little nuances only the driver can feel.  Anything going on with my car I feel it, especially on the track because it's quantified exponentially!
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2010, 12:39:46 PM »

As far as A arm bushings Sean Roe was part of a poly bushing research project year before last.  It migh be an idea to call him and see if the poly bushings are available. 

I'll send an email to him and jonb and see if they have any options.
Ted
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines | Theme by nesianstyles | Buttons by Andrea