The VIPER Garage
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2019, 04:43:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Pick Your ViperGarage Theme
Forum Stats
25579 Posts in 2255 Topics by 1135 Members
Latest Member: Ralphwhite
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
The VIPER Garage  |  Generation-specific Viper Forums  |  RT/10 & GTS Viper Discussions  |  2000 RT/10 Subwoofer
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2000 RT/10 Subwoofer  (Read 916 times)
Steve 00RT/10

« on: November 29, 2010, 04:25:18 PM »

The subwoofer in our car has been blown for a while now.  Not a real big deal as we don't have it on that often.   BUT, if a guy wanted to replace this speaker....what fits in there?  7 inch appears to be an oddball size to start with. I'm not going to modify the console.

Anybody have any suggestions? 

Thanks -- Steve
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 05:29:59 PM »

You referring to your R/T10?  GTS uses a pair of 6 1/2" Low frequency round speakers behind the carpet coverting the back wall of your trunk.  Read "Stereo Upgrades" fpr specific brand and model numbers.

The head unit and amp being Alpine means that the quality is excellent.  I suggest that the generic factory speakers go into the garbage where they belong.  Premium sound is available with even cheap (inexpensive?) modern speakers.  Even the door speaker kits costing just over $100 are enough to double the quality of the sound system Steve. 

Ted
1999 1200rwhp TT GTS - ART, 2001 Roe sc GTS- (4 sale), 440 Duster restomod (sold), 3x Stealth TTs, 92 Daytona IROC with T3, 580whp/1080wtq Cummins pickup.
Steve 00RT/10

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 05:59:41 PM »

I believe the RT/10 center console sub woofer is a 7" ...not 6.5 like the GTS has in the back.  I am going to upgrade the door speakers as well.  I'm also told the little tweeter in the door could stay.

Steve
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 09:42:20 PM »

The Door speakers are the most important.  The stocker uses a resistor to filter out the lower rfrequencies while nearly every "Door Kit" comes with a cross over box that "actively" filters frquencies to both tweeter and Wide frequency speaker.

I wouln't save any of that stuff.  Just change all the factory speaker stuff out.  The door speakers are called 6.5" but the size of the hole is 6 3/8" so 6.5" require some grinding (as shown in my How to thread).  After JUST the door speaker kit the quality and the bass more than double and at half volume the floor shakes.  With stock speakers the floor only shook at full throttle due to the "noise" and the sound sucked.  But the new speakers are such an improvement that you'll probably start listening to music!!!  Like I do
1999 1200rwhp TT GTS - ART, 2001 Roe sc GTS- (4 sale), 440 Duster restomod (sold), 3x Stealth TTs, 92 Daytona IROC with T3, 580whp/1080wtq Cummins pickup.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines | Theme by nesianstyles | Buttons by Andrea