The VIPER Garage
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2018, 01:41:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome all new users to The Viper Garage - please read the site introduction in the Announcements
Pick Your ViperGarage Theme
Forum Stats
24622 Posts in 1936 Topics by 835 Members
Latest Member: viper007
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
The VIPER Garage  |  Vendor Area  |  Striker Heads  |  Gen I, II and Gen III Cylinder Head Options
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gen I, II and Gen III Cylinder Head Options  (Read 10837 times)
RoadRunner
Distributor for Striker Heads

« on: November 16, 2012, 03:55:06 PM »

Hi-

Any of the Gen I Gen II and Gen III vehicles can benefit with big power increases by choosing a C.N.C. ported version of our J.M. C.N.C. cylinder heads and a matching application-specific roller camshaft.

C.N.C. PORTING JM CYLINDER HEADS:

A Computer Numerically Controlled machine uses a program designed to cut and shape ports for increased performance. The program itself is the important part as the machine simply does what it is instructed to do. That very specific design is what determines the performance of the finished product. The PROGRAM itself is the key ingredient to the machine turning out an award winning product.

A BIT OF HISTORY/CREDENTIALS:

As I've said many times, Jeff Morys (Father Striker) DESIGNED the original Viper heads in the first place. Using his extensive knowledge and state-of-the-art equipment available to him, he designed a C.N.C. program that took the performance of the o.e.m. (factory heads) to the next level.

Jeff M. has extensive experience in the Chrysler Air-Flow research division (Hemi heads, current generation vipers, etc.) and continues to work directly with Roush and NASCAR in the development of their products. His legacy is in our products and the results speak for themselves.

PORTING METHODS:

Arguably, C.N.C. equipment produces repeatable results as the machine is doing the cutting and shaping and is not relying on human "free-hand" eyeballing during porting. This tends to keep ports identical and aids in cylinder-to-cylinder consistency.

There is also a strong argument for hand-porting however. And great results can be obtained by someone skilled in this area. Once again, power results speak for themselves.

THE LIMITING FACTORS

ALL cylinder heads have their limits. As there is only .200" wall to work with in a set of the Viper o.e.m. heads, trying to go beyond that will only break through the walls, roof or floor of the ports themselves. So the trick here is knowing HOW to shape the ports for maximum efficiency.

MAXIMUM FLOW

Flow seems to sell cylinder heads and many people looking into purchasing heads believe that more flow means more power. IT DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY. Increased flow is a guide to the possibility of an engine making more power. For example, a stock Gen III Intake Port flows 270 cubic feet of air per minute at 28" of water column, which is a standard flow differential. It is relatively easy to increase flow on a flow bench say for example, by flattening the floor of an intake port. If done improperly however, that is a great way to drop power in an engine as, while the quantity of the flow increases, power very often decreases. So all of the trial and error, careful reshaping, valve grind angles, valve sizes, combustion chamber work, etc. that goes into R&D ends up as a C.N.C. program that will PROPERLY cut and shape the ports to work in conjunction with the other equipment.

LIMITS

Eventually, limits on the cylinder heads are reached...

Enter the Strikers: This head was designed from the ground up by, you guessed it, Jeff Morys and blows past the limitations of the o.e.m. Gen II and Gen III cylinder heads. STRIKERS ARE THE ONLY AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE HEAD AVAILABLE FOR THESE ENGINES. Therefore spark plug location and angle, fast-burn combustion chamber shape, port size and shape (particularly the Intake port), thicker decks, meaty rocker pedestals, and high-efficiency water jackets are all things that are exclusive to these heads that are limitations in the o.e.m. heads. For those that need hard-core power numbers the STRIKER-R cylinder head is available which is in a class all by itself and will produce more power than any other head available ! I will report on these particular heads shortly.

There are a few choices for ported Viper heads out there. I feel fortunate that Jeff's products are still very much alive and well and are available for our Gen I to Gen III engines. These C.N.C. Programs Jeff designed is the exact program that is used to make our line of C.N.C. ported JM Cylinder Heads.

So whether you decide on the budget-minded CNC-PORTED JM Cylinder head or step up the the STRIKER line, you can be sure of choosing a proven winner with FIFTEEN + YEARS of research, development and proven track records to back it up!

I hope some of this helped.

Ronnie

If you have any questions, post up or drop me an email at ronnieshpheads@hotmail.com
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 03:58:55 PM by RoadRunner » Logged
Add hp by upgrading to better heads.
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 10:37:31 PM »

I recommend ported heads, increased intake valve and seats.  Bottlefed and I both have a set of JM ported heads on our Gen 2s.  I also ported my own heads as I have been porting ALL my heads since I was a kid.  I can't recommend ported heads any higher than I already do.

Free hp (hp attained by removing restrictions to the engine's function) is the absolute best hp available. 
1999 1200rwhp TT GTS - ART, 2001 Roe sc GTS- (4 sale), 440 Duster restomod (sold), 3x Stealth TTs, 92 Daytona IROC with T3, 580whp/1080wtq Cummins pickup.
RoadRunner

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 01:43:43 PM »

Agreed, power is in breathing.

I've got a couple of sets of Striker-Rs out there (just recently), and I'm anxious to see the results of the builds. When I get more information, I can post it up if you are interested.

As you can see, they have a high-angled exhaust port roof, compared to the Street Strikers. 364.4 INT  253.1 EXH. virgin head flow @.700" , unported.

Photo courtesy of JMB Performance

« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 10:18:27 AM by RoadRunner » Logged
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 09:11:20 PM »

I love collecting reliable info on any and all head technology.  Please post
1999 1200rwhp TT GTS - ART, 2001 Roe sc GTS- (4 sale), 440 Duster restomod (sold), 3x Stealth TTs, 92 Daytona IROC with T3, 580whp/1080wtq Cummins pickup.
RoadRunner

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 12:54:09 PM »

I love collecting reliable info on any and all head technology.  Please post

I was getting some confusing emails about CNC heads.

Apparently some guys thought that "CNC" was the name of some special head that was out there for Vipers, so I thought it might be time to clear that up and might explain the lengthy post (above).

Anyway, there are (2) sets of Striker-Rs overseas that are on a t.t. go-fast boat (2 viper engines) and it made an incredible difference in power output from the heads that used to be on those Gen III engines. Unfortunately the owner admittedly isn't much of a "car-guy" :), so it has been tough to get specifics other than-  Quote: "The craft went from "fast" to "terrifying". end quote. :D I have been in contact with his builder but English isn't his primary language...

The other Rs went elsewhere, so I'm waiting for feedback on those and will pass along what I learn.

Update: The cats' out of the bag on one set of Striker-Rs, they will be going onto the most powerful SRT-10 on the planet. The build is being handled by JMB Performance and Powdercoat. In fact the engine build for the truck will be very close to the build in the link below which also uses the Striker-R heads :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=OQy336FAmHE

Ronnie
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 06:29:34 PM by RoadRunner » Logged
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 11:42:13 PM »

Saw video of that beast when it first went 6s.  Mind boggling!  Hate the 2 speed glide.
RoadRunner

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 09:39:16 AM »

Saw video of that beast when it first went 6s.  Mind boggling!  Hate the 2 speed glide.

It looks like the car lifts and carries the front tires to 1/2 track or further.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 11:12:34 AM by RoadRunner » Logged
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 08:57:30 PM »

Looked like the only went 150 something mph?  Isn't that a little slow for 6s?
The other vid he didn't carry the wheels very far.  Lifted wheels slows the car down a lot and usually the wheelie bars are set so that the rear wheels lift off the ground to control the wheellie.  But, I don't remember him having wheelie bars? 
RoadRunner

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 10:17:26 PM »

Looked like the only went 150 something mph?  Isn't that a little slow for 6s?
The other vid he didn't carry the wheels very far.  Lifted wheels slows the car down a lot and usually the wheelie bars are set so that the rear wheels lift off the ground to control the wheellie.  But, I don't remember him having wheelie bars?

Hmmm- 215 M.P.H. in the video, right before the video ends.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 04:00:05 PM by RoadRunner » Logged
oldcolt

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 12:40:43 PM »

The last second of the video, buddy moves his head and you can see 215.x5mph on the board. I wonder what they did to help the IRS?
RoadRunner

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 03:30:03 PM »

The last second of the video, buddy moves his head and you can see 215.x5mph on the board. I wonder what they did to help the IRS?

They did some kind of a chant with beads and potions and stuff, I'm guessing :) 540 cubic inches, 8500+ r.p.m. and 3000+ horsepower, WOW !!  That particular I.R.S. has a strong will to live.. And what about the block !!!??!!!

Kudos to the builders !! That kind of performance and the R&D that goes with it opens the doors to all kinds of possibilities for Vipers that have been sitting on the sidelines watching other brands go really fast like that !

Derek is back in action. A bunch of new parts to wring out. 7.07 @ 210 in Vegas (recently), I was just yakking with Mr. T. on the phone from there..

I'm anxious to see the results of the Builder, JMB Performance and Dom's truck (Owner/Driver) go flying down the track next Spring!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 04:01:45 PM by RoadRunner » Logged
oldcolt

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 03:54:34 PM »

Glad to hear Derek is back in action. I haven't seen Mr T. for over a year. Do you know what the status of his dyno shop is?
RoadRunner

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2012, 03:56:54 PM »

Glad to hear Derek is back in action. I haven't seen Mr T. for over a year. Do you know what the status of his dyno shop is?

We're off to Timmies when he gets back and I will call you when; I need to talk to him about some R&D stuff...Another new cam grind, Intake mods and throttle body mods..
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 04:04:23 PM by RoadRunner » Logged
505sfastestviper

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2012, 04:30:32 PM »

Im here Guys!!!!!!!!!!HI!!!!
oldcolt

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2012, 05:04:50 PM »

Im here Guys!!!!!!!!!!HI!!!!

Would you or Justin have anymore pictures of the Striker R's?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines | Theme by nesianstyles | Buttons by Andrea