The VIPER Garage
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2018, 02:49:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome all new users to The Viper Garage - please read the site introduction in the Announcements
Pick Your ViperGarage Theme
Forum Stats
24622 Posts in 1936 Topics by 842 Members
Latest Member: XEvilBestSaw
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
The VIPER Garage  |  Generation-specific Viper Forums  |  Gen 5 (Striker) SRT Viper GTS  |  The Laguna Seca Viper GTS vs ZR1 test
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Laguna Seca Viper GTS vs ZR1 test  (Read 1680 times)
shooter_t1
« on: December 20, 2012, 07:21:45 PM »

Surprised no one has posted this or talked about it here.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1212_2013_chevrolet_corvette_zr1_srt_viper_gts/

Seems the cars are about the same performance. The Pilot Sport Cups are sorely missed on the Viper. I'm curious if it was an Italian decision to use the inferior Pirelli's as stock rubber on a "Track Pack" equipped car. Maybe a decision that will be revisited.:)

The 2 second beating the Gen V took at the hands of an outgoing Corvette model does suck, but to be honest I am truly only interested in getting a 700 HP Gen V ACR if they build one and am not about to get into a whining and hand wringing fest like some of the idiots that are posting on VCA thread.

Comments?
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 01:34:36 PM »

Thanks Shooter.  Interesting.  Guess they should have kept the 700hp that was Ralph's original plan?

Interesting that the 700hp Aventador and Italias are rated slower than the vette and Vipers.  I saw the Aventador at Race the Base and there was really no comparison to any of the other stock cars there.  The Aventador kicked butt.  Ralph ignored his invitation to bring the Viper to the RtB competition so there's been no actual personal experience that I've seen comparing the new Viper to the other supercars I was spanking with my Roe GTS there.  There was a vettes at RtB but they were unoticable and NOT King of anything. 

What is your experience with ZR1s on the track Shooter? 

I always understood the ZR1 as extremely close to the Gen 4 Viper and had expected that the Gen 5 would be faster ...   :idk:

Seems kinda weird that the Gen 5 would compare slower than the ZR1 which is slower (or equal) to the Gen 5 Viper?  I am guessing that we'll have to wait for the Gen 5 to actually compete in events instead of cheby magazine comparisons.  Dodge always lost to the Chevs when tested by magazines.  I remember one test where the Viper won every competition and yet Vette won because it was a couple thou cheaper and had softer seats.

I wish Ralph would have sent that Gen 5 from the Calif Concours to Race the Base in Alberta so the world could have seen how the new Viper compares to all the other supercars.   :'(  maybe the new car wasn't ready then?
1999 1200rwhp TT GTS - ART, 2001 Roe sc GTS- (4 sale), 440 Duster restomod (sold), 3x Stealth TTs, 92 Daytona IROC with T3, 580whp/1080wtq Cummins pickup.
Sybil TF

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 03:17:03 PM »

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1212_2013_chevrolet_corvette_zr1_srt_viper_gts/

The 2 second beating the Gen V took at the hands of an outgoing Corvette model does suck,

Comments?
Really? Wonder if it would do better with a different driver?  :driving:
You know who!
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 06:01:53 PM »

Different WRITER is what I think.  Still disappointed that there wasn't an ass kickin' Gen 5 at Race the Base last summer. 
1999 1200rwhp TT GTS - ART, 2001 Roe sc GTS- (4 sale), 440 Duster restomod (sold), 3x Stealth TTs, 92 Daytona IROC with T3, 580whp/1080wtq Cummins pickup.
shooter_t1
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 07:11:13 PM »

Thanks Shooter.  Interesting.  Guess they should have kept the 700hp that was Ralph's original plan?

Interesting that the 700hp Aventador and Italias are rated slower than the vette and Vipers.  I saw the Aventador at Race the Base and there was really no comparison to any of the other stock cars there.  The Aventador kicked butt.

What is your experience with ZR1s on the track Shooter? 

I always understood the ZR1 as extremely close to the Gen 4 Viper and had expected that the Gen 5 would be faster ...   :idk:

Actually I think the article says the Gen V was BEHIND the Aventador, but ahead of the Ferrari's.

As far as my experience with ZR1's on the track here Ted, it's kinda rare to see them as it's usually hot when we do the NARRA TWS stuff. I've seen exactly 2 on the track and while they handle pretty good, the one owner I talked with said he would heat soak after about 4 laps in the Texas heat/humidity. I'm sure a couple of other members here have spent more time racing against them.  But really, any car that can turn a 7:19 at the N-ring is a top tier car. Although I prefer Vipers, I'm not a Vette hater and you have to acknowledge the cars capabilities. I actually prefer the Z06 Carbon over the ZR1 though. N/A with all the aero, brake and tire upgrade's.
shooter_t1
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 05:11:34 PM »

Looks like the Gen V did better the 2nd time around. Good job SRT.

http://m.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1303_2013_srt_viper_first_test/

Although it's all about the new car now, I sure would be interested in what kind of time Kuno or Dom could get around Laguna with a stock 2010 ACR. You know, like the one sitting in Tomball Dodge's showroom right now. Hint, hint SRT :)

For instance, here are the top laps.

1. 1:33.70 ZR1 Corvette
2. 1:33.99 Gen IV Viper ACR
3. 1:34.23 Gen V Viper GTS
4. 1:34.43 Z06/Z07 Corvette
5. 1:34.50 McClaren MP4-12C
6. 1:34.63 Gen V Viper SRT
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 05:18:37 PM »

Looks like the Gen V did better the 2nd time around. Good job SRT.

http://m.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1303_2013_srt_viper_first_test/

Although it's all about the new car now, I sure would be interested in what kind of time Kuno or Dom could get around Laguna with a stock 2010 ACR. You know, like the one sitting in Tomball Dodge's showroom right now. Hint, hint SRT :)

For instance, here are the top laps.

1. 1:33.70 ZR1 Corvette
2. 1:33.99 Gen IV Viper ACR
3. 1:34.23 Gen V Viper GTS
4. 1:34.43 Z06/Z07 Corvette
5. 1:34.50 McClaren MP4-12C
6. 1:34.63 Gen V Viper SRT

Or maybe SHOOTER should try his comp coupe and then the 2010 SRT ACR????   That's what I'd like to see.

How did the GTSR compare to the stock Vipers at the track ...
shooter_t1
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 06:00:37 PM »

Or maybe SHOOTER should try his comp coupe and then the 2010 SRT ACR????   That's what I'd like to see.

How did the GTSR compare to the stock Vipers at the track ...

Shooter doesn't have a Comp Coupe Ted. :) (oh how I wish I did).  And even if I did it wouldn't prove anything. We are talking stock production street cars.
The New GTSR has never lapped Laguna as far as I know and again, has no bearing on this anyways.
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 06:07:26 PM »

Guess you don't want to ask SRT to borrow one and do it then?  :idk:  So Dan Cragin's weekend was all stocker Gen 5s?  I would have expected some of his tricked out stuff, comp coupes etc to be attending at willow

It would be interesting to run the <500hp GTSR against the 640bhp SRT Viper with slicks on it.
shooter_t1
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 06:18:53 PM »

Guess you don't want to ask SRT to borrow one and do it then?  :idk:

I wish I was fast enough that something like that was possible...but I don't think I am. They have plenty of proven hotshoes

BTW, if you look at the time Ben did around Sebring in the ACR....2:16 I think, then see what the GTSR did in qualifying this week, you should have your answers.
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 12:54:44 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLa3l_UX77c&list=PL8F0981B98726601A&index=1

The Gen 5 TA.  Wonder if the slicks that made the Gen 5 3 sec faster are Cups?

Viper won finally although it did take a shock adjustment to do it!    :2thumbsup:

:goodjob:  Ralph Gilles and SRT!!!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines | Theme by nesianstyles | Buttons by Andrea