The VIPER Garage
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 16, 2018, 12:21:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome all new users to The Viper Garage - please read the site introduction in the Announcements
Pick Your ViperGarage Theme
Forum Stats
24598 Posts in 1931 Topics by 788 Members
Latest Member: Blitz8282
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
The VIPER Garage  |  How To Instructions  |  How-to section  |  DIY side exhaust
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: DIY side exhaust  (Read 4759 times)
AndyMac
GEN 1 TT club

« on: October 24, 2010, 04:50:04 PM »

Alright, I built a pretty cheap exhaust using some 3" stainless, 2 stainless straight through magnaflows, and no cats. The car is super loud now and has a brutal drone around 1500rpm, but I have gotten used to it and have learned to drive at different RPM's to minimize the noise while cruising.  This was my opinion before I finished my TT setup, but since the addition of the turbos, it's got a much better sound and no more drone.

Mufflers are stainless Magnaflow 3" in/out.

I just used some stainless 3" pipe and the original exhaust flanges.

Side sills are ice cold now, and my ass dyno confirms a nice HP gain.

Here are a couple videos, one before the exhaust, and then one after.(Need DivX codec)

http://www.myturboprojects.com/viper...ust_before.avi

http://www.myturboprojects.com/viper...aust_after.avi

I have video of the car after the turbo system install, but haven't taken it off the camera yet.
Andrew MacPherson
TT 95 RT/10
AndyMac
GEN 1 TT club

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 01:46:12 PM »

I felt it was bad before, but if you threw headers and a supercharger on top of that, I'm sure it would make your ears bleed..  It would be novel for a time, but I think it would get old fast. Plus there is nothing better than the whistle of two turbos ;)
Andrew MacPherson
TT 95 RT/10
plumcrazy
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 02:33:55 PM »

cant argue that....

the TT with that setup must sound great
BOTTLEFED
owner

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 06:27:42 PM »

Awesome. 
Very simple. 
I love the look of side exhaust, but don't like the sound.  Your vids aren't working, so I can't say anything about your sound.

Turbos are great mufflers and give off a distinct, cool exhaust note.  I can't see you having a drone with a turbo. 

BTW, my Borla exhaust is pretty much that exact setup, but with rear exit.  It is 3" and uses those same mufflers in the side sills.  No cats, no rear mufflers.  Borla headers as well.  It has a cross-over pipe in the rear to eliminate drone.  It has a little at different speeds, but the sound is amazingly loud!  I have destroyed more than one mic on video cameras at dyno events lol!
97GTS B&W: Roe S/C 6.5#, VEC3, custom W/M, Borla headers and catless exhaust, smooth tubes and K&Ns, JM stg3 heads, 1.7 Arrow RR, 3.55 gears, Fidanza, B&M sst, 661hp/683tq
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 07:00:33 PM »

Our V10s have 'issues' with the exhaust.  SRT engineers said that 5 cyl engines have blow down issues and that's why our "double 5 cyl" engines sound as they do.  Not sure of Borla but Corsa uses sound cancellation technology to change the tone of the exhaust and remove drone.  Part of what I find attractive about the rear exit is the mellow sounds created by the length of the 3" pipes.  With an exhuast pipe that is only a few feet long there is no time for the exhaust pulses to "stretch out" and mellow the sound, it's still too close to the cylinders.

Another minor advantage is that when the exhaust exits at the reat of the car, the volume (at WOT) helps fill the vacuum created by the car's areodynamics.

Ted
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 07:03:53 PM by RTTTTed » Logged
1999 1200rwhp TT GTS - ART, 2001 Roe sc GTS- (4 sale), 440 Duster restomod (sold), 3x Stealth TTs, 92 Daytona IROC with T3, 580whp/1080wtq Cummins pickup.
AndyMac
GEN 1 TT club

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 12:54:40 PM »

Just got a couple videos done of the car with the same exhaust, but with my turbos installed.

Right click, save as..

At idle.

www.myturboprojects.com/viper/media/viper_exhaust_turbo.wmv

Shot inside the car turning onto the highway, 6-8lbs boost.

http://www.myturboprojects.com/viper/media/low_boost_run_01.wmv

Shot of the tach.

http://www.myturboprojects.com/viper/media/low_boost_run_02.wmv
Andrew MacPherson
TT 95 RT/10
AndyMac
GEN 1 TT club

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 04:20:17 PM »

I have to agree, I miss my flowmaster V8 sound. (but that's all I miss)

You guys with rear exit exhaust have a much nicer sound, but doubles the amount of pipe and labour for the exhaust.
Andrew MacPherson
TT 95 RT/10
jasontiff
Troublemaker

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 12:09:27 PM »

I loved the lumpy 708 cam (I had it in my 1993 RT/10). I believe my Roe GTS had an aftermarket cam, as indicated by a tuner and the new owner that blew and subsequently tore down the motor.

My 1993 with no cats and Magnaflows was fine for driving with sidepipes; I'd smell but my ears wouldn't hurt. When I did the heads, cam and headers, my ears would ring after every drive. This video shows stock, cat delete and high-flow mufflers, then full exhaust:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSb9ZasXfxY

New owner beating on it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk6RjZjfj0w

My 1998 Roe GTS had SVS headers, Corsa catback and no cats. It was VERY loud. At the dyno day we had here at the Roundup with around 70 Vipers, mine was the loudest except for one NA Viper with straight pipes. It was tolerable, but I had rear exit exhaust. No cats means a very stained rear bumper that had to constantly be cleaned. A friend with a 1999 Roe GTS with sidepipes had to go back to rear exit, because in his words "I've already been in the Marines and have enough hearing loss as it is."

Dyno video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9KCrXBPjvY

Small cruise (go to 3:20, 6:00 and 6:20 for my car):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTWZIitKd1U

Video where you hear the cam:
http://www.jtiff.com/viper/1998/movies/JasonCam.m4v

And plum, if you can't at LEAST say you appreciate this whine, then you're just a hater :D
http://www.jtiff.com/viper/1998/movies/JasonT.m4v

I'm going to re-film the last clip with my new car in the next week or so. It's not as loud as either car but it's not quiet either. The turbo car has sidepipes and is very tolerable. The entire interior is Dynamat'd but when the windows are up the water pump in the trunk is pretty loud. The new video will be cool because I'll be able to hear the blowoffs hissing when I shift as opposed to the blower whine. I also have a GoPro camera I'm mounting to my rollbar, so I'll have some in-cabin footage too. I think I should be able to top 150 but PRROOOBBAABLY won't...:D
2001 Twin Turbo Viper GTS
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 11:22:56 AM »

On my 1100whp pump gas/1500whp race gas tuned TT GTS the car came with hand built 4`SS magnaflow muffled rear exit exhaust.  5`tips.  It doesn`t sound anywhere near as good as my Roe blown Corsa exhausted GTS, but it idles quieter.  Unforunately the TT does have hwy drone between 55 and 78mph.  My Corsa has NO drone.  Unfortunately Corsa does not make a 4`exhaust.

I am planning to do some longer full throttle racing events with my TT and at the higher hp level heat is a serious issue.  Todd (American Racing Technologies) informed me that 400F intake temp would cause catastrophic egine failure.  I`m upgrading to water/air intercooler system and will be installing the water tank under the floor of the hatch (rear) as Joel Fortin did on his TT GTS.  To run Bonneville (5 mile top speed course), Magnum and mile courses pretty much requires the wateréair intercooler system.  Street driving (under 100mph) and quarter mile drags are fine without needing the extra cooling of the water/ice system, alothough it would increase the hp by lowering the intake temps. 

I went to Tek Truck and bought 4 inch straight pipe and some 4 degree elbows to build a flow through side exhaust.  At 1500whp any restriction creates a serious hp reduction so my sidepipe exhuast will be free flowing without mufflers or bends.  I cut the elbows to form an angled exit pipe, then welded the ends to the 42 inch straight pîpes.  The turbos will act as the mufflers and with side exit there wil be less heat affecting the car.  This is more important that most realize as I expect much of the exhaust to be red hot at the end of the run.  Being so close to the plastic body and fiberglass with the rear exhaust I can changeback to rear exhaust for street driving (on low boost) if I wish.  Cost of pipe, elbows and clamps was $125

1999 1200rwhp TT GTS - ART, 2001 Roe sc GTS- (4 sale), 440 Duster restomod (sold), 3x Stealth TTs, 92 Daytona IROC with T3, 580whp/1080wtq Cummins pickup.
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 10:57:37 AM »

When I thought about cutting 5" holes into my perfect shiny Black side sills my brain refused to come up with the best way to chop a big hole in my car.  Drill, holesaw, jigsaw, etc.  I just couldn't decide.

While buying new hood and bodyparts for my Deer crashed Sapphire GTS I found 10 or 11 used side sills and thought I could buy a couple used ones so that I could retain my stockers for the rear exit exh.  Then I found the price. 

I bought some thrashed beat up Gen 1 sills from New York for $500 plus about $200 for shipping and another $150+ taxes and duty.

I contracted a sheet metal (heating/ac system installers) shop to have some custom made side sills formed out of .060 alum.  Straight panels with a sharp edge on the bottom to increase the aerodynamics with a sharp 90 degree angle bend (they will work as side splitters) for $650.
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2016, 02:11:17 PM »

I welded an 02 sensor bung into the elbow of the exh just down side of the Turbo for the wideband.  It uses a 18mm thread (nut).  Being past the turbo should give me a fairly accurate reading and have minimal interference with the vast amounts of exh flow.

I believe that removing the 4" rear exit exh and muffler was most of the reason I gained 3psi minimal (mechanical) boost pressure!  Huge difference and extremely loud.  Also nearly burned my foot standing beside the exh pipe in the dyno room during a 1200whp pull.  I'll be looking for and ordering some 12 or 16" x 4" (id) race mufflers to tone the exh to a managable level.

The exh exit is much longer than the Gen 1 exh exit hole so I'll extend that to fit the exh oval tip. 

When I cut, reshaped and welded the wheelwells to fit 31" tires I threaded the frame and bolted an exhaust hanger to the frame cross member.  I used that bolt and a 7" spike to build a rear support for the back end of the exhaust.
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2016, 10:17:40 PM »

I bought a set of beat up Gen 1 side sills and cut, then rolled the edge because my 4" exhaust pipe exit is oval and instead of being a sharp radius 90 degree bend my pipes were cut oval because they were  a 45 degree bend.  I wet sanded them (in the tub while showering) and sprayed them with Lacquer paint then rubbed the smooth parts of the sill creating the shine lacquer is famous for while leaving the contoured shape velvet finish.  Although not great they looked great on the car.

Standing beside the car while tuning it on the dyno made me decide to NOT stand beside the car's hot exhaust.  That also decided me that I needed to wear my helmet before listening to full throttle at boost. 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines | Theme by nesianstyles | Buttons by Andrea