The VIPER Garage
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2018, 07:40:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome to the updated Viper Garage.  We look forward to exchanging stories, events, tech info, pictures and fun.  Welcome to our humble Viper Home
Pick Your ViperGarage Theme
Forum Stats
24622 Posts in 1936 Topics by 835 Members
Latest Member: viper007
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
The VIPER Garage  |  Generation-specific Viper Forums  |  Gen 5 (Striker) SRT Viper GTS  |  Showdown DC 97 GTS VS 2013 Viper GTS at track
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Showdown DC 97 GTS VS 2013 Viper GTS at track  (Read 3275 times)
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2013, 03:42:28 PM »

My blower with pistons, headers, and I ported the heads makes aboutn720whp and went 10.5 at 139mph on PS2s.  176mph in the mile and 195mph on a long track.  My buddies GT500 went 10.1 at a sea level track with a pro driver.  He has 670whp.  About $15K into `bolt ons`and $8K into suspension mods.  His car is nearly as fast as mine ... but I doubt that he could run over 200mph.  I also doubt that he gets 25mpg (imp) and I doubt that he drives his street car 3,600 miles to track his car and bring home the trophies?   :lol:  You won`t see me switching to another brand and start losing. 

Skylines, Hondas, WRXs and even my Stealth TT just doesn`t impress me or compare to a Viper at all.  John V. had Go Pro issues this last weekend (while winning the Halfmile Shootout and the 115mph class, but I`ll eventually get some video posted of some of the event.  The reason I don`t post many vids and pic of japanese, Porsches, vettes etc is because they are usually boring - at least to watch.  They don`t sound great and are normally too quiet or crappy sounding.  My Viper is Corsa track with headers and a blower and it`s LOUD, but always sound the best at every track I go to.  I know it sounds conceited, but the facts are there.  I get lots of comments about how spectacular and fast my car is after every run.  Unfortunately, my TT isn`t nearly as loud and doesn`t sound half as good. 

When I got the boot from the VCA I contemplated switching to another brand.  Vette, Porsche, Mustang ... but I just couldn`t do it.  Although I have seen a TT Z06 that was faster than my Roe Viper, I`ve never seen one comparable to MY TT GTS.  There are a few other TT Vipers that can compare to mine however.  Only thing I`ve seen better than mine is a Lambo TT, once!  I certainly don`t even have the $75,000 required for a Lambo TT trans.
1999 1200rwhp TT GTS - ART, 2001 Roe sc GTS- (4 sale), 440 Duster restomod (sold), 3x Stealth TTs, 92 Daytona IROC with T3, 580whp/1080wtq Cummins pickup.
jtin

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2013, 06:20:55 PM »

There are always a few cars out of any brand that can impress. From what I have seen at my local 1/4 mile track, the vettes haven't done very well in general. That been said, I've seen 1 bone stock zr1 go there and out of about 5 stock vipers ( mostly gen 3-4) have yet to beat that zr1. And the fastest viper I saw ran a 12.4@ 115 gen4 acr.  Yes my track is that slow. The zr1 hit 11.8@118. So zr1 get my respect hands down.

But in general I must agree with Ted on this. None of these cars do it for me like the viper does. Out of all these fast cars , gtr ,supra, ect how many can make 1000rwhp at about 12-14 psi boost.
NONE.

Anything pushed hard enough will make numbers, but for how long. I have a 450whp (25 psi)Honda crx that ran 11.8@124. Don't ask me how many motors I blew in the 10 years I own it lol. After all these years one thing I've taken from turbos is minimum boost @ maximum power is the only way to go.  I've hurt my viper motor pushing it near the 20 psi mark.

Pushing 20 psi for a gear no big deal. Holding her down and going through all gears and creating HEAT ,no motor will take that on pump making big power.

I do respect all fast cars no matter the brand. Yes I'm bias to viper. But a fast car is a fast car. There are guys I talk to at my track that run low 11's and high 10's. ALL show up on a trailer. When they ask about my I car and i tell them I'm running 3:07 gears they ALL go wow that's impressive. 
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2013, 06:39:56 PM »

Guess I`m jaded since I`ve been building and driving √≤rdinary`Street cars at 12sec in the old days to 11 and then to 10 sec.  Now I street an 8 sec car.  A full race (can`t drive) 10 or 11 sec car is fun, but not impressive. 

Driving a 9 or 10 sec street car for 1 - 6,000 mile trips IS IMPRESSIVE.  Getting 20 (US)mpg is fantastic. 

I`m ruined? :idk:     

I wonder if vettes just attract the kind of people that don`t want to go very fast?  They should be capable of going fast.

I respect the newer Z06 and ZR1 because they have a great potential to go fast.  The ZR1 is actually about the same performance as a Gen 4 Viper. 

If you build a Viper engine with a blower (like a ZR1 has got) there is definitely NO comparison as the Viper outperforms the ZR1, perrhaps even the Gen 1 Viper could eat a ZR1 with only a Blower kit?  That`s impressive.
1999 1200rwhp TT GTS - ART, 2001 Roe sc GTS- (4 sale), 440 Duster restomod (sold), 3x Stealth TTs, 92 Daytona IROC with T3, 580whp/1080wtq Cummins pickup.
jtin

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2013, 07:18:17 PM »

A full race (can`t drive) 10 or 11 sec car is fun, but not impressive. 
Driving a 9 or 10 sec street car for 1 - 6,000 mile trips IS IMPRESSIVE.  Getting 20 (US)mpg is fantastic. 
I respect the newer Z06 and ZR1 because they have a great potential to go fast.  The ZR1 is actually about the same performance as a Gen 4 Viper.

If you build a Viper engine with a blower (like a ZR1 has got) there is definitely NO comparison as the Viper outperforms the ZR1, perrhaps even the Gen 1 Viper could eat a ZR1 with only a Blower kit?  That`s impressive.
[/quote]

Amen
V10TT

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2013, 10:21:06 AM »

My blower with pistons, headers, and I ported the heads makes aboutn720whp and went 10.5 at 139mph on PS2s.  176mph in the mile and 195mph on a long track.

Ted, my comparison of other brands is referring to me having to sell my TT GTS to get into a NEW GEN V, and get owned by the other makes out there with way more potential for cheap hp.

I was never referring to the GEN II.  That is my whole dilema.

This is my original post, referring to the new GEN V Viper:
I could probably get the SRT once the used ones start to come up in the market.
My only issue is the ca'r Performance.
GT500, GTR, Porsche TT, and ZR1 will own this car on the casual hwy pulls. Specially since they are so easy to mod. And the C7 Z06, and ZR1 will be faster too.

Kinda sucks you spend all that $$, to get a Bad ass Viper,and then you are playing catch up, specially after having a TT GTS
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 10:25:45 AM by V10TT » Logged
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2013, 12:03:26 PM »

I get it, and if you`re into competition then the Gen 2 is the one you need.  I agree with you, but the Gen5 is made to be a Driver.  Guess you need both?

At least the Gen 5 is still near the top of competition.   It will beat everything that is more than 2 years old. 

I`m disappointed that installing Nitrous doesn`t make the Gen 4/5s faster because there is a Torque sensor that shuts down the performance if the car goes faster than stock.   Otherwise Nitrous could be added, allowing the extra boost when needed for a few seconds of ass kickin`   

I will be keeping my TT GTS. 
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines | Theme by nesianstyles | Buttons by Andrea