The VIPER Garage
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2018, 08:58:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome all new users to The Viper Garage - please read the site introduction in the Announcements
Pick Your ViperGarage Theme
Forum Stats
24608 Posts in 1932 Topics by 812 Members
Latest Member: Viper364
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
The VIPER Garage  |  Viper Racing Discussions  |  Nurburgring Threads  |  Nurburgring Time Trails
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Nurburgring Time Trails  (Read 1897 times)
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« on: May 07, 2013, 11:03:21 AM »

The Nurburg Ring records keep getting shorter and shorter with the newer Viper high speed handling.  Production Car means unmodified and more than 500 units built and sold per year, over several years (in my mind at least).  Limited production cars such as the Enzo and Maclaren also tested these times ...

Originally started as an advertising scam the Nissan GTR ran the ring and beat the official (?) Porsche lap time.  7:31 was faster than the Porsche 911 could manage.  When the car went into production it couldn't get anywhere near the performance of the advertised hype that was accomplished by the "Prototype" .. which seemed to run with about 100hp more than the production car had.  GM thought, "A Datsun for less money that can beat our ZR1 Ultimate Corvette?  Not possible!"  With a team of a dozen ZR1s (so I read) and a huge crew they took a C130 to Germany and rented the track for an entire day!  They did beat the Nissan/Datsun with a 7:29 lap taking away the advertising and bragging rights from the Japanese.  A couple SRT engineers (don't know their names) took a couple of 2008 ACRs in containers and a slow boat to Germany, then hired a driver.  With the driver arriving late, only a half day rental of the Ring ... the best of 3 laps was a 7:21 sec stupendous run.  Watching the video the driver overreved and missed 4 shifts while still beating all other brands BADLY. 

Tomball Dodge took a couple 2010 model ACRs to Germany and blew the previous records away badly with a 7:12.  Corvette only sets the pace and gives SRT the "time to beat".  Although most of the world figured that the Maserati MC12 and the Ferrari Enzo would spank the Viper ACR ... it was not even close with the MC12 running 2nd with a 7:25 several years ago.

Marcus's buddy Charlie has posted a youtube video of his great run ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wN2rOhsvHQ&feature=youtu.be
1999 1200rwhp TT GTS - ART, 2001 Roe sc GTS- (4 sale), 440 Duster restomod (sold), 3x Stealth TTs, 92 Daytona IROC with T3, 580whp/1080wtq Cummins pickup.
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 12:50:03 PM »

His name is Carl-Henrick Stromnes ... 
1999 1200rwhp TT GTS - ART, 2001 Roe sc GTS- (4 sale), 440 Duster restomod (sold), 3x Stealth TTs, 92 Daytona IROC with T3, 580whp/1080wtq Cummins pickup.
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 07:24:13 PM »

Watching the British comedy 'Top Gear' and they decided to test a GTR (Datsun).  Although that car is doing so much better after their "World's Fastest Road Car" advertising campaign which failed when the Corvette blew the GTR's "world's fastest time" of 7:31 when the new Corvette went 7:29.  Then the 2008 took the title with a short term rented driver with a 7:21 run around the Nurburgring track.  The GTR has been doing some winning once tuners are pumping up the power of these cars.  Matter of fact a $100,000 spent on a GTR actually went 13mph faster than my supercharged Viper GTS at www.racethebase.ca event last year.  Interesting that it only gained 11mph faster in the 2 mile course which was only 6mph faster than my Viper ...

Top Gear says the the GTR runs the Nurburgring in 7:24 sec. which is quite a bit (7sec) faster than the old GTR time.  The 2010 Viper went 7:12 sec recently and the newer ZR1 vette went ...  7: 19 (?) which means that both North American supercars are the Kings of the Ring (thanks for the title Timbo) while Japanese ingenuity s still chasing the dream.  Last I heard Ferrari Enzo was 7:25 so unless they've upped that the GTR has beat the Ferrari iconic Enzo.

Still a long way from the Viper.  From projections of SRT the new Viper is again fastest, but it hasn't been out long and it did take two tries to beat the ZR1 this year.  Chrylser faithful have no doubt that the Viper will again be best and fastest.
shooter_t1
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 04:30:24 AM »

The new TA Gen V  barely beat the Vette at Laguna. The Ring is a track where DF really plays a part. I truly dont think the Gen V will be much faster then the Vette around the Ring. I think it will take a new ACR to beat the Gen IV ACR's time.
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 08:51:29 AM »

The ZR1 was only 5 sec behind the ACR last time Shooter.  With the proper gearing in the Gen 5 there should be a hp advantage advantage at the top end.  I would hope that the new Gen 5 Viper remains superior to the vette.

Your points are good however.  And, the new vette does look like the new Viper (except camaro taillights).
shooter_t1
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 05:04:18 PM »

The ZR1 was only 5 sec behind the ACR last time Shooter.  With the proper gearing in the Gen 5 there should be a hp advantage advantage at the top end.  I would hope that the new Gen 5 Viper remains superior to the vette.

Your points are good however.  And, the new vette does look like the new Viper (except camaro taillights).

Vette was 7 seconds behind, but I get where you are coming from. I just don't think the Gen V is over 7 seconds faster then the Vette. A couple, perhaps, but 7:12 is gonna be hard to beat. Not that I don't want it to...if the TA can beat 7:12, just think what a Gen V ACR could be capable of. :)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines | Theme by nesianstyles | Buttons by Andrea