The VIPER Garage
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2018, 01:44:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome all new users to The Viper Garage - please read the site introduction in the Announcements
Pick Your ViperGarage Theme
Forum Stats
24622 Posts in 1936 Topics by 842 Members
Latest Member: XEvilBestSaw
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
The VIPER Garage  |  Generation-specific Viper Forums  |  Gen 5 (Striker) SRT Viper GTS  |  Watkins Glen 2013 GTS Pace Car "NIGHTMARE!?"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Watkins Glen 2013 GTS Pace Car "NIGHTMARE!?"  (Read 1427 times)
JonB - PartsRack

« on: May 21, 2013, 10:51:25 AM »

Im just back from NARRA Watkins Glen, and courtesy of SRT I had the privilige to use a 2013 GTS "Mule" from the SRT endurance testing fleet as an Official Pace Car Friday-Sat-Sunday.  A bit more on the "Nightmare" in a moment....

This serpent had the cockpit-adjustable dual-mode shocks, and had clocked 37000+ miles in testing. Newer Pirelli P-zeros, it was NOT a production-quality Viper, but it was still a damn-nice Snake!   Driven 600 miles from MI by none other than engine-guru Dick Winkles. [ "600HP Dick" to his insider friends.]

The SRT mission at The Glen was product testing for a planned MoPar PCM.  Dick Winkles was there,  seemingly writing code for 3 days, as he fine-tuned the parameters for a 'better sounding' PCM, and preliminary dyno runs show 10-12 HP gained, as well as some torque and RPM redline increases.  The G4 PCM left a little to be desired in SOUND, since the fuel-cutoff was complete and instant, resulting in a loss of that melodic "burble" that so many owners love, but combustion enginers don't.   SRT listened to its customers, and the G5 PCM will have a great Burble.....we had 50 witnesses! 

The nightmare......     Imagine you are an SRT Engineer who gave up his weekend to go and help pace a Viper Cup race at The Glen.  Now, imagine this engineer not only was at the '91 and '96 Indy 500s as part of the Viper Pace Car effort, but has also been at many Viper Cup events since 2010.

So, you'ld be expecting to see and pace some Vipers, right?  NOT SO FAST!!  Just before the first Cup Race on Saturday, Watkins Glen asked us if we could again help pace a charity fundraiser called "Thunder Road".  Car clubs can take touring laps for a fee, and funds go to charity.   Doris and I had a blast doing the pacing last year, and I was pretty sure SRT would like to be up front.

But when Dick Winkles glanced in his side-view mirror the first time, and saw a fleet of 40-50 Corvettes coming up behind us, his first words were  "This could be a nightmare scenario for a Viper engineer!''    Well, I guess so!!  But NOT to worry.....

In any case, some of the group bought 3 laps, and half the group paid for 6.  At the midpoint we stopped at the Start-Finish for photo ops, and the G5GTS did a slow-pass while decelerating to 'show off' the OE exhasut burble with the PCM mule echoing off the walls. With ONE exception, the vette-audience liked the sound.    So did I.....not poppy or backfirey, but a nice, muscley sounding BLBLBLLBBLLLBBBblblblblbl as you pass thru 2400 rpm to idle. Awesome. 

The Vette crowd asked a bunch of questions, a few sat in the Viper, they took a bunch of photos, and most gave us a thumbs-up as we burbled away... V-10 envy was apparent that day, and I doubt that Dick had any nightmares.....

PICTURES!    Of COURSE I HAVE PIX,,,,,who may I email them to for posting?

Email address please?     JonB@PartsRack.com
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 03:06:13 PM by JonB - PartsRack » Logged
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 02:40:36 AM »

That's great Jon.  Too bad you didn't get to race a few vettes since they were at the race track   :idk:

I did race at the SSCC and this year it was 33 Vettes that I beat.  One modified ZR1 did finish 3rd behind me and a blown Challenger. 

I can post some pics for you tomorrow probably.
1999 1200rwhp TT GTS - ART, 2001 Roe sc GTS- (4 sale), 440 Duster restomod (sold), 3x Stealth TTs, 92 Daytona IROC with T3, 580whp/1080wtq Cummins pickup.
Viper Girl
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 09:20:06 AM »

SRT Engine Guru Dick Winkles programming the MoPar PCM
JonB - PartsRack

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 09:42:33 AM »

Thanks Kala !  One interesting comparo is the tapered stripes on the ACR-X vs the "Skunk Stripes" on the G5......

The curvey Gen 5 GTS hood is "overpowered" by big wide skunk stripes when you see them adjacent like that !!   The skunkers detract from the curvaceous GTS Hood.
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 10:25:28 PM »

You`re right Jon, but I do like the wide straight stripes better than the tapered stripes. 

I think that Blue Dick is working on looks like it is probably spectacular in the sunshine. 
1999 1200rwhp TT GTS - ART, 2001 Roe sc GTS- (4 sale), 440 Duster restomod (sold), 3x Stealth TTs, 92 Daytona IROC with T3, 580whp/1080wtq Cummins pickup.
Viper Girl
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 02:48:37 PM »

Love that blue!

This Gen V, was at Super Car Sunday... I like the tapered stripes on this hood.

Viper Girl
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 02:51:09 PM »

Which kind of reminds me of this... for some whack reason...

RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 03:40:49 PM »

:lol:  I can see why.

I like those tapered stripes much better than the full taper on the stripes.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines | Theme by nesianstyles | Buttons by Andrea