The VIPER Garage
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 19, 2018, 08:46:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome all new users to The Viper Garage - please read the site introduction in the Announcements
Pick Your ViperGarage Theme
Forum Stats
24611 Posts in 1933 Topics by 817 Members
Latest Member: arnytt
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
The VIPER Garage  |  Viper Racing Discussions  |  Acceleration Tests, Drags, Half and Mile tests  |  I'lL Set a New Land Speed Record
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I'lL Set a New Land Speed Record  (Read 9487 times)
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« on: June 08, 2013, 12:30:52 PM »

I'm working towards setting a new Land Speed Record for 2014.  I have the power to do it and my suspension is what is needed for the record. 

I have been offered a lot of help from many Viper experts and engineers.  Hoping to finalize everything in September and post more on that then.  Suffice to say that the best of the best people have stepped up to offer the knowledge and even equipment needed to set a new Viper Land Speed Record.  With these people and sponsors the record will be within reach. 

It is unfortunate that Vettes have taken the records away from the Viper (such as Herb Helbig's records) but with this help I expect to set a new record that the vettes won't be able to attain.  Interesting is that the Moore Boys (vette team that holds A/GT and AA/GT records now) already LOST to my Roe supercharged Viper GTS last May at the NORC Halfmile Shootout!  Their modified ZR1 corvette was only .1mph slower than my slow Viper.  I presume that they have a FAST corvette that set the lsr and I'll expect that I'll need to use my best effort (but probably only the 1100whp tune ...  with the airfilters removed that tune will produce near 1300whp!).  As far as my 'slow Viper' I plan to pick up that game June 22nd when I get a SCT and my Vec tuned without air filters and a 2nd smart/tune card for race gas ...

Production classes require stock looking bodies, stock fuel tank, stock door panels. 
Nothing allowed to extend past 1/4" of stock body measures.
Roof rails and window retainers are required. 
Special Bonnieville Racing Tires are required.  Since they are only 8" wide they require custom 6" racing wheels. 
Full rollcage is required past 175mph. 
Above 200mph race seat is required with nets or seat restraints limiting head/helmet movement to 2" each direction. 
Hans device, helmets etc all required. 
Driveshaft loops and scattershields as well as a manually controlled dual zone 11# fireextinguisher system. 
All glass (except windshield) must be replaced with polyurethane/Lexan. 
Fire suit of SFI /15 for unblown cars and SFI /20 for front engine Forced Induction cars. 
SFI /15 rated race booties and racing gloves.  Higher than the 2 sets I already bought. 
Head sock is required.
Tarp or ground cover is required for parking on the Salt.  I suggest buying a tent for shade ... and a gen set and a a/c unit to make the trailer a
                                     haven for crew and helpers

There is a lot more rules for running on the salt.  Whatever the record for your class is what the safety equipment for your car is ... 

People I've spoken to have mentioned Ballast.  Herb H ran 800# and Steve ran 1500# of ballast.  With a 7 mile course the weight is all good and Steve's record V8 Vega weighs in over 5,000#.  At 250mph the weight is your friend - as long as it's mounted really low since Steve also mentioned spinning out at 240mph.  Donuts at that speed it is extremely important that the Center of Gravity of the car is really low ...

Steve Green (SCTA tech inspector) is going to show me how to design my own "cool shirt" ... which should be more comfortable than the a/c? 
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 09:12:33 PM by RTTTTed » Logged
1999 1200rwhp TT GTS - ART, 2001 Roe sc GTS- (4 sale), 440 Duster restomod (sold), 3x Stealth TTs, 92 Daytona IROC with T3, 580whp/1080wtq Cummins pickup.
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 08:32:31 PM »

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/10/11/whats-it-like-to-go-over-260-mph-in-an-20-year-old-audi-s4-wat/

shows a 92 5 cyl import awd that set a speed record on the salt at 236mph.  His 1100whp pushed his 4 door POS past 260mph.  The land speed record is a double run (opposite directions) within an hour of each other.  This video shows some details inside the car.  The brick styled car did very well and Iam amazed that an umodified body could manage a 230mph speed, never mind a 260mph speed.  wow.
1999 1200rwhp TT GTS - ART, 2001 Roe sc GTS- (4 sale), 440 Duster restomod (sold), 3x Stealth TTs, 92 Daytona IROC with T3, 580whp/1080wtq Cummins pickup.
Adrnln

beat on it like its your little brother !

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 03:33:22 PM »

Ted
 Not sure that heavy weight is the only answer , you still need to accelerate that mass and there is a drag penalty in moving that mass ie sinking further into the salt , bearing loads etc , a good mix of down force and proper weight distribution is key . And that is what makes the salt so much more challenging than pavement  ! What works in a paved mile may not work on seven miles of salt the same way .
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 08:11:40 PM »

You could be right Darryl.  But aerodynamics created drag.  Drag at speed is bad.  Traction on the salt is bad.  The winners seems to use 800# to 1500# ballast for the record.  Steve said that at 200mph the car will lift to the top of the salt instead of sinking.

Although aerodynamics are changeable and effects like "loading" the diffuser disappears when you lift the throttle ...  The weight is consistent and easy to adjust.  I was reading up on adding a few hundred hp to a motorcycle, and wings in front of the tires. 

Seems that all fast speed cars carry ballast.   They don't use wings ...
Adrnln

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 07:32:35 PM »

Don't forget the weight bias on the Viper is much better than most cars ,your friend Steve's V8 Vega may not have that advantage and require more ballast ?
I know my car with me and a full fuel tank on board has 58 % of the weight on the rear and 50.6% of the weight is on the left side of car as it is currently setup .
The Viper GTS has a big advantage here !
shooter_t1
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 07:38:23 PM »

Pretty interesting stuff. When is your run?
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 10:56:06 PM »

I didn't read anything about where you place the engine in the rules so I would assume that Steve's 10mph faster than the previous record Vega must be about perfect.  His V8 Vega record is about 258mph (iirc) - the same as the na Viper/vette record.  But his Vegas weighed 5,500#.  He obviously built extra safe and extra heavy and then added 1500# ballast.  Winning combination.

Heavier is better on the salt.  Weight makes a difference to acceleration and other than extra weight adding traction and increasing downforce (weight to the groud) with zero drag the weight doesn't matter.  (ALL GOOD).

Aerodynamics are a case of least is best.  Nearly everything we do increases drag.  At 200+mph we worry about trying to retain the boundary layer over the entire car body and shrinking the rear tail stream.
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 10:59:46 PM »

My run?  I'm figuring costs to make the car and personal safety equip to be about $1400 more than what I have so far.  I'm planning to go and help Darryl run his car, buy some used parts (firesuit, etc)and learn more science this Sept.

Next Aug at World Speed Week is when I figure to go set my record.
eucharistos

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 06:41:15 PM »

go ted go  :driving:
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 07:32:19 PM »

Workin' on it Euch.  Good things take time ...  Want to get it right the first time and not have to go back ...     :lol: :lol:
eucharistos

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 10:55:04 PM »

ted, i was thinking about the ballast thing  :headscratch:,

couldn't you put some in the right seat and sell the experience to an adrenaline junkie with a gopro strapped to his helmet to help fund the project  :idk:
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 12:10:15 AM »

:lol: good idea  :2thumbsup:  but SCTA doesn't allow passengers during the runs.   :idk:

Now that you mention it I have received a couple "gas money" offers for rides in my supercharged GTS.   I should be getting volunteer navigators that want to pay my way through the SSCC races?  LOL.  It's fantastic when I have a navigator that pays half of the costs though.  But, I like your idea.

When Doug (willowbrook chrysler) paid my huge entry fee to compete (and win) in the RacetheBase.ca last year it was great and when I mentioned taking him down the runway in my TT car, he said, "No way, you think I'm crazy?"   :idk: 

It's different as I see a lot of people think that 200+ is a great experience.  I guess it is, I went 215mph, but I thought I'd gone 180-190mph until they told me I went too fast.  I enjoyed running 3rd fastest at the entire event with my street car best.  I think maybe I enjoy winning the most?  I went 175mph in my Sapphire GTS with a bad shake which was a bad Ujoint.  After I changed the Ujoint I went 195mph in that car with the Ujoint on the other side toast!  Didn't enjoy the shaking at all.  :mad:  but I've been working at perfecting the car for years.  I think that the dyno tune this weekend will finish the Sapphire Viper GTS.  I upgraded all the Ujoints in my Titanium axles and this tune should finish the supercharged beast.  Man I love this car. 

But ... looking at purchasing a scattershield and hyd clutch line for the TT and then everything for the TT should be upgrades and safety equipment for the Salt flats (like the scattershield). 
Adrnln

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 08:36:05 AM »

Ted ,

Whats the plan , is this year ??
Salt season coming up fast , we are still prepped and ready from the rain out last September !

* sfvsiden.jpg (112.44 kB, 1024x579 - viewed 147 times.)
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 09:11:24 AM »

Still away and not stared on actual working on the car yet.  I'm trying to figure cooling so that I won't have an issue with that.  Bought a Motec in an attempt to be able to better control power and boost as well as adjust both at the salt.

It'll require several runs to get licensed before actually getting to run fast. 

I'm going to talk to a couple guys about Bonnevilled today (hopefully) and ask advice as well as see if I can get some advice on the small amounts of aerodynamics allowed, cooling and tuningdifferences for the salt.  There is a lot of things I haven't dealt with yet so it's a good thing that I have until Sept to work on it.  I had an aero brainstorm the other day, but although the theory behind the reshaping of the car is sound ... I'm not sure if it would function as I think it should at speed ...

Adrnln

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2014, 09:38:27 AM »

reshaping the car sounds ambitious ! but anything to punch a hole through all that high speed air .
 I am thinking my front dam at 1 inch off ground and aggressive rear splitter will help smooth things out a bit , air vents in hood should help keep the nose down too .
did you find lexan windows and hatch yet ?

* sfvfront.jpg (94.08 kB, 1024x579 - viewed 161 times.)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines | Theme by nesianstyles | Buttons by Andrea