The VIPER Garage
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2018, 11:03:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Pick Your ViperGarage Theme
Forum Stats
24619 Posts in 1934 Topics by 821 Members
Latest Member: Jhalo
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
The VIPER Garage  |  How To Instructions  |  How-to section  |  Gen 1, 2 and 3 Viper Con Rod Bearing Fix
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gen 1, 2 and 3 Viper Con Rod Bearing Fix  (Read 1540 times)
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« on: July 03, 2013, 10:34:12 AM »

After having rod bearing issues Todd at Arrow Racing Engines sent me an email and suggested that what works best is to buy Gen 4-5 main bearings and groove the block behind the bearings to extend the oiling hole.  This requires machine work and for the block to be out of the car, but ... it makes sense to do this upgrade.  As part of his email he also suggested that it was the #3 and #4 rod bearings that failed because those are the ones that normally fail!

He also suggests checking all lifter bore, cam plate and other oil clearances or the problem will reoccur.  Upgraded oil pressure relief valve and proper oil filter (05037836AA or AB) as well.

Thanks Todd
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 10:04:34 AM by RTTTTed » Logged
1999 1200rwhp TT GTS - ART, 2001 Roe sc GTS- (4 sale), 440 Duster restomod (sold), 3x Stealth TTs, 92 Daytona IROC with T3, 580whp/1080wtq Cummins pickup.
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 10:23:50 PM »

Joel has also done an upgrade plugging the crossdrilling in his crank main oiling grooves.  That is also shown and listed in this section as another thread.

Joel's rod bearings were being worn out in less than 3000mi.  It turned out that his AEM was probably the culprit as his timing was stuck and advanced too far causing a lot of detonation.

My rod bearings were not in great shape with only 60,000mile they had excessive wear.  One bearing (#3 of course) was completely worn to the copper.  I was told that #3 & 4 rod bearings wear early on Gen 1, 2 and 3 Vipers.  My main bearings looked like new while all of my rod bearings were visibly worn.  I am replacing the rod bearings, rings and valve seals at this time.  All that was worn out was the rod bearings and the rest of the engine is in great shape, except the Valve seals.  I have now ordered the PartsRack's oil pan trap door kit, the ACR Pressure Bypass valve and special "Viper only" oil filters.  I will be using 15-40w oil from now on as well. 
1999 1200rwhp TT GTS - ART, 2001 Roe sc GTS- (4 sale), 440 Duster restomod (sold), 3x Stealth TTs, 92 Daytona IROC with T3, 580whp/1080wtq Cummins pickup.
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 10:14:47 AM »

Recently I've upgraded to a K&P Engineering reuseable oil filter from IPSCO since my rod bearings are damaged again. 

One problem with the disposable cartridge oil filter is that the filter's restriction is so high when cold that the bypass opens only AFTER the paper filter warms up.  The Stainless medical grade filter media flows 90gal per minute and will also filter the oil when the engine is COLD and operate with much less restriction!  There is also a magnet encased in the oil filter to help. 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines | Theme by nesianstyles | Buttons by Andrea