The VIPER Garage
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2018, 02:24:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome all new users to The Viper Garage - please read the site introduction in the Announcements
Pick Your ViperGarage Theme
Forum Stats
24622 Posts in 1936 Topics by 842 Members
Latest Member: XEvilBestSaw
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
The VIPER Garage  |  Viper Racing Discussions  |  Viper Road Racing Discussions  |  NARRA Pitt Race results-my track buddies DOMINATED!!!!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: NARRA Pitt Race results-my track buddies DOMINATED!!!!  (Read 1606 times)
L8TApex
Roadracing junkie
Global Moderator

« on: August 21, 2013, 05:53:02 PM »

Congrats to my track buddies for dominating Pitt Race last week with NARRA!!!

Victor, Allen, Shandon, Luke-I am so impressed by all of you!!!!

-Leslie

**************************************************************************************

New stars shine in Pittsburgh during Whelen US TimeTrial Championship.   

Ascoli rockets onto the TT-3 scene, Caldarelli takes first wins and
it's advantage Prociuk heading into Sebring.

Joe Ascoli won Sunday's TT-3 competition in his Whelen USTTC debut.
Photo by NARRA

Even with greatest rivalry in the history of the Whelen US TimeTrial Championship continuing at Pittsburgh International Race Complex (Aug 16-18) between TT-1's Keith Prociuk and Troy Messer, it was the series' new stars who stole the show. Joe Ascoli surprised the establishment by taking a TT-3 win during his series debut, while Victor Caldarelli dominated TT-2, and Luke McGrew kept Unlimited winner David Santillo's hands full in the absence of Philip Grabow.

Presented by CORSA Performance Exhaust, rounds 11 and 12 of the Whelen US TimeTrial Championship offered drivers their last chance to collect valuable points before the double points season finale at Sebring International Raceway, November 22-24.

Pittsburgh was particularly key for Unlimited driver David Santillo as the absence of rival Philip Grabow, who tried in vain to get his Subaru STi ready in time, gave him a chance to catch up. However newcomer Luke McGrew, with only VIR under his belt, kept Santillo more than honest.

McGrew (1:00.295, Prizm Painting Dodge Viper SRT-10) stunned the paddock late in the first session on Saturday, posting the third fastest time to up two tenths on Santillo (1:00.486, CCS Construction Chevrolet Corvette Z06). Santillo (58.942) responded in the second session, as did McGrew (59.268) but it was Santillo's time that held to take the Unlimited win.

Sunday was a similar affair with Santillo (1:00.027) and McGrew (1:00.065) separated by just hundreds of a second after the first run. The second session again proved pivotal as Santillo (58.942) found the eights and McGrew (59.268) the nines. McGrew pushed again in the third run (59.195), but fell just three tenths short.

Allen Stieg (WolfTech Manufacturing Viper SRT-10) completed the Unlimited podium on both Saturday (1:01.895) and Sunday (1:00.989).

Victor Caldarelli dominated the TT-2 class in Pittsburgh. Photo by NARRA

One of the biggest surprise packets of the weekend was Victor Caldarelli (Viper GTS Coupe). He decimated the TT-2 class both days and was rewarded with a full set of Pirelli Tires for his efforts. Consistently out-pacing the field, the deficit was nearly two seconds on Saturday as Caldarelli (59.735) went sub-one-minute in practice two. Behind him Thai Diep (1:01.509, Fortune-Auto.com Mitsuibhisi Lancer Evo IX) proved there's more than one way to skin a cat, beating out two other V10 Vipers to take second from Shandon Stamper (1:02.245, Viper SRT-10) and Mansen Way (1:02.384, Hero Reward Charity SRT-10). Greg Donnan's Chevrolet Corvette C5 completed the top five.

Over night Diep discovered a cracked wheel on his Evo, and after testing it out, went "eight-tenths" to try and salvage a trophy. While the wheel held out, his time didn't as a ferocious battle between Stamper and Way broke out leaving Diep wishing he'd pushed "ten-tenths".

Separated by mere tenths, Stamper and Way's tussle came down to the final run. Spurred on by four of his seven children, who were acting as pitcrew, Stamper (1:01.181) found what he needed to take second, while Way (1:01.403) snuck in to bump Diep (1:01.563) off the podium.

The TT-3 competition started somewhat as expected as front runners Scott Mandel (Orange County Automotive Corvette Z06) and Chris Wirth (Street Tuned Motorsports Evo X) setting the tone in session one. Impressively, debutant John Walczak (Lotus of Pittsburgh Lotus Exige S V6 Cup) commenced the day third fastest. That was until Joe Ascoli (Kaizen Tuning Giro Disc Evo IIX) took to the track, and took over third, after only just receiving and fitting parts in time for the second run. Meanwhile, a broken oil line left Mandel sidelined for session three.

Mandel pushed hard in the final run and he had to. Ascoli had come out of nowhere to record a 1:01.992. But Mandel (1:01.719) rose to the occasion to take the TT-3 win. In fact, his next lap may have been even quicker, but Mandel tossed it off into the scenery. Ascoli's pace bumped Wirth (1:03.528), who had been second all day, to third.

If his Saturday performance hadn't unsettled the likes of Mandel and Wirth enough, Ascoli came out with all guns blazing on Sunday to complete a stellar series debut. He set a new track lap record (1:01.220) and was never seriously challenged. Mandel (1:02.319) became the meat in a Mitsubishi sandwich when Wirth (1:03.277) again fended off Walczak (1:03.713) for third.

Allen and Luke:

Antonelli:

Victor:

Shandon on track (silver Viper)

Victor prepares to go onto the track:

the 'stig' makes an appearance!  sorry, can't say who he is....:)

« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 06:38:16 PM by L8TApex » Logged
Yeh, this is Leslie, like my new screen name? :)
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 07:10:40 PM »

Thanks for posting Leslie!  Great work guys.  Loving the winners! 
1999 1200rwhp TT GTS - ART, 2001 Roe sc GTS- (4 sale), 440 Duster restomod (sold), 3x Stealth TTs, 92 Daytona IROC with T3, 580whp/1080wtq Cummins pickup.
shandon

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 04:59:51 AM »

It was a great weekend. I had never been to that track before so it was learn fast or loose. I was able to grab 3rd place Saturday but Sundays race was where it got heated. The second place winner from Saturday nailed the same time on Sunday and I was determined to beat it. What I didn't know was Mansen Way was tearing the pavement up looking to beat me and man he just about did. We went lap after lap and in the end we both beat out the second place competitors time and took podium finishes. Even though that was intense and more fun then a 40year old should be allowed to have, what made it so great was watching my kids work the pits. They were adjusting my tire pressures, taking internal temps, adding gas, setting up the cools suit, cleaning the windows and bringing me water every time I pulled in. I was so proud of them and it really made it possible for the old man to pull off a couple wins. Its time to get them some matching Pit Crew T-shirts and head sets :2thumbsup:

Victor, Allen and Luke tore up the track with breath taking times. It was amazing to watch them!! Everyone taking Podium finishes with hard competition.

Leslie** we all owe a lot to you! You had a hand in training, teaching and Instructing each of us in one way or another! Wish you could have been there!!!! See you at Mid-Ohio though in October :D
L8TApex
Roadracing junkie
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 05:18:47 AM »

Ahh thanks Shandon .  Happy Birthday too!!!
Yeh, this is Leslie, like my new screen name? :)
ViperJeff
Administrator

Viper Registry
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 09:40:00 AM »

Very Nice
“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.”
― Winston Churchill
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines | Theme by nesianstyles | Buttons by Andrea