The VIPER Garage
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 20, 2018, 10:39:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Pick Your ViperGarage Theme
Forum Stats
24619 Posts in 1934 Topics by 826 Members
Latest Member: scottyv10
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
The VIPER Garage  |  Miscellaneous Discussions  |  All Brand Events  |  Fall 2013 SSCC
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fall 2013 SSCC  (Read 4676 times)
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« on: September 02, 2013, 09:30:36 AM »

Couple weeks left 'till the 26th annual SSCC event.  Open road racing.  I entered the standing Mile event and the 145mph class this year.  Tim Anglin/Bottlefed will be my navigator because Trev can't make it.  www.sscc.us 

John V/Taillights is having issues getting his rear end stub shaft repaired and now may not be able to attend.  Micheal Fine and John Bimmer will be there, but he'll be running a caged and highly modied Z06 this event.

Doug Seal is not coming this time, although he has offered the use of a racing suit for Tim.  It's great having good friends!

This is the bigger event of the year in Vegas. 

I finished re-installing the Titanium Axle back in my car and the bent HRE wheel is being straightened.  I'll use the PS2s and Forgeline wheels to race however as the BFG fronts are too old to run the high speed classes.  I'm pretty sure that my safety harnesses are less than 4 years old and OK, or I'll drive over to California Speed and buy another one for this event.

I'm re- assembling my engine now and have added several upgrades to it.  I removed a lot more Head port material now that I am comfortable with the way the head castings are poured.  I've upgraded the CNC'd intake manifold as per Sean Roe's instructions.  Fresh bore, new rings, new rod bearings, gaskets and a trapdoor oil pan kit.

I'll be leaving here and heading south this saturday.
1999 1200rwhp TT GTS - ART, 2001 Roe sc GTS- (4 sale), 440 Duster restomod (sold), 3x Stealth TTs, 92 Daytona IROC with T3, 580whp/1080wtq Cummins pickup.
ViperJeff
Administrator

Viper Registry
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 09:38:40 AM »

OK, looking at either Saturday or Sunday that I can make it out, which day would be best

Whats happening on friday?
“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.”
― Winston Churchill
ViperJeff
Administrator

Viper Registry
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 10:36:24 AM »

Oh buddy, might have friday off
“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.”
― Winston Churchill
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 11:42:20 AM »

http://sscc.us/documents/global/pdf/event_schedule.pdf

Friday is supposed to be both Mile and Halfmile shootouts, with rain date Sat.  It's rained causing the Halfmile to be held on Sat all three times I've been there.  Banquet each day, Parade through town, drivers and navigators meetings Sat.  CarShow Sat morning at FOOTBALL field near dowtown Ely.  Social meet and greet on Thurs night. 

Ted
1999 1200rwhp TT GTS - ART, 2001 Roe sc GTS- (4 sale), 440 Duster restomod (sold), 3x Stealth TTs, 92 Daytona IROC with T3, 580whp/1080wtq Cummins pickup.
ViperJeff
Administrator

Viper Registry
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 01:16:30 PM »

I'm ready!!!
― Winston Churchill
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 07:14:16 PM »

http://lasvegas.informermg.com/2013/09/09/silver-state-classic-25-years-of-open-road-racing/
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 07:23:30 PM »

went out to my car and since I did such a good job installing my a/f guage I couldn't find the windings to lossen and hook the coonnector to the sensor on the passenger side. 

Did I mention that to be outside is to sweat?  Even cloudy it's too hot!
  Tomorrow I hope to get another wideband sensor (or addittional guage) and get my a/f ratio readings from richer than 14.0 ...  Hard to adjust the tune if I don't know the a/f mix.

Going to find a minute oil change outfit and get the trans and diff fluids changed.
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 11:23:07 PM »

Last May my Hemi magnum Buddy told me that he bought a Z06 to spank me.  Unfortunately, the engine blew up within a few days.  He rebuilt the engine and spent some serious money on it.  For some big hp he used E85 as a fuel and ran 14 to 1 pistons with a massive camshaft.  Thursday 3am he picked up his Z06 after 5 months in the shop and he liked the result.  His car did well and sounded great in the Halfmile shootout.  He thinks he went 150mph which is only 1 mph slower than my Sapphire GTS did in the Half mile.  There was a "Killer" Mustang Shelby GT500 a few cars in front of me.  It had street slicks and a 2' rear trunj extention ... but after a couple hours waiting in the rain he decided that it was going to be too dangerous and he left.  That left a few ZR1s, a couple Shelby GT500s, a BWM M6 and me.  Jim Peruto brought his streamined and modified 160mph 66 Chevelle to the mile shootout and unloaded it from his trailer.  When he came past us at the finish waiting area he didn;t seem fast and stalled when he tried to idle the car.  People said that his car wasn't running right.  Mark Capener said he figures I was the fastest, we'll see at the awards banquet on Sunday. 

There was a media team from Japan and since my first SSCC was when they posted video of me running the Half mile Shootout (3rd place to a sc'd V8 Porsche and behind a TT SRT 10).  They love my Viper and have been shooting pictures all day.  They came by and showed me the 2 videos they made of my Mile run after I parked.  These guys are journalists writing for 3 Japanese Sports Car Magazines and I'll be prominenet in their articles again.  These guys really enjoy my Viper.

I ran the mile and my car ran pretty good and I finished about 5400rpm in fifth gear.  This car normally did the mile at 176mph at 2200'  Here at 6500' altitude we'll see how fast we went and if anyone was faster.  Popular opinion is that Mike Fine's car will propbably be the fastest as the ZR1 only went 147mph.
ViperJeff
Administrator

Viper Registry
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 11:36:31 PM »

Some pics... I have 873, maybe I shouldn't post them all.  So here are a few... Probably, better ones, just tired

* DSC_0835-web.jpg (133.96 kB, 1024x680 - viewed 150 times.)

* DSC_0763-web.jpg (121.97 kB, 1024x680 - viewed 152 times.)

* DSC_0685-web.jpg (87.72 kB, 1024x680 - viewed 144 times.)

* DSC_0571-web.jpg (137.79 kB, 1024x680 - viewed 148 times.)
― Winston Churchill
Sybil TF

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2013, 05:59:06 AM »

Last May my Hemi magnum Buddy told me that he bought a Z06 to spank me.  Unfortunately, the engine blew up within a few days.

:lol:I know , it's not funny. Yes it is.
You know who!
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2013, 07:12:06 AM »

Well, it does seem that his Z06 is about the same speed as my Viper now though.  My slow Viper I mean.   :lol:  Pretty good for a vette!  Mike might be KING of the vette guys!   :lol:
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2013, 05:03:41 PM »

I didn't realize that the first sweeping long corner was so sharp!  Couple corners I was listening for the sound of squealingntires as I went around the corners.  Being an actual road there are bumps in corners and when you're tight around a corner at 164mph and hit a bump ... it can get very exciting.  Our timing sheets were screwed right up.  20 sec too fast, I slow down 20mph for 3 miles to be going even faster?  The I slow from my target speed of 145mph to 130mph and end up going faster???   

I have to say that driving for more than half an hour at 130 - 164mph. is defintelky more than what I expected.  I didn't realize the inside of the car got that loud at speed.  My gas mileage (avg 30 - 164mph over about 140miles) would be aboiut 10 mpg.  My GTS did idle along easily at 160mph although the sweet spot seemed to be around 150mph. 

Mike Fine and John Bimmer figure they did extremely well in both the halfmile and 120mph (GT) class this time.  I told him we did lousy and he informed me that he is taking over my job of collecting trophies.  His Z06 could never drive to Canada or very far without adding a trailer hitch and a 500 gal fuel tank, but his car ran nicely and fast.  He and John had a fantastic time and THAT is the most important thing in life.  I wish Mike and John luck in collecting trophies this event.  They've been good and supportive friends to me/us down here and they deserve trophies.

There was a Mustang R (steve ...  ), a Mercedes or perhpas it was a BMW that travelled along with a TV crew and they participated in the rally.  The "leader" was driving a 2009 White/black/red striped ACR.  Apparently from a TV show carlled Car Show was the big guy.  Tiresmoke.com sound like their website?  I followed the ACR from the Rally to Ash Springs (about 7 miles) and he ran out of gas 1 mile before the gas stationm and coasted all the way into the Sinclair!!!  Tnakfully neither John Bimmer of myself had to push.  Steve ...  told us that his Mustang Shelby GT500 (modified) ran out of gas across the finishline and he turned off his airconditioning as his car was overheating 2 miles into the rally.  John just phone and said that the 2 Unlimited cars of Jim Peruto and a 90s firebird NASCAR style machine broke down and neither finished.

Awards ceremony will be soon.  7pm tonight.
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2013, 05:24:45 PM »

I guess I didn't mention it yet but I'm a qualifier for the Ultima Ultimate Street Car Challenge (TV Show) and that would take place at SEMA!  That would be awesome if MY car was picked as the one from the 138 SSCC entries to go compete at SEMA.  I would also covet a second or third fastest from the Mile event.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 10:09:24 PM by RTTTTed » Logged
Adrnln

beat on it like its your little brother !

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2013, 06:20:23 PM »

You might be reffering to the guys at thesmokingtire.com , good bunch of guys and they actually strapped their camera onto our GoKart for an onboard video at the Mojave mile a couple of years ago for the show , true gear heads !
ViperJeff
Administrator

Viper Registry
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2013, 08:56:50 PM »

Lots of pics..

Let you all decide the ones you like.  I'm not the best at taking pictures as you will see

http://www.catpawinc.com/Events/SSCCFall2013/index.htm

― Winston Churchill
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines | Theme by nesianstyles | Buttons by Andrea