The VIPER Garage
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2018, 02:12:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Pick Your ViperGarage Theme
Forum Stats
24619 Posts in 1934 Topics by 826 Members
Latest Member: scottyv10
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
The VIPER Garage  |  All Other Cars  |  All other Cars and Brands  |  2003 Roush Stage 3 Premium
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2003 Roush Stage 3 Premium  (Read 4960 times)
Steve 00RT/10

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2013, 01:16:55 PM »

There is a lot of history withn the Mustangs.  At VOI X we toured the Saleen plant and saw they way they turned Fords into Saleens.  Interesting and a lot of versions with mustangs.

We've done the Saleen  tour as well.  It's free as I recall.

My reading so far tells  me that while the 3 big tuners: Roush, Saleen, and Steeda all shared the limelight with their packages for quite a while...they all took a step backward in continuing value when Ford introduced the SVT SC 390HP cobra in 2003.  Here you had an OEM product putting down as much or more than the 'packages' of the day.  The tuner high  HP packages could no longer be counted as a large chunk of the value when Ford was doing their own thing with SC power.

I have to say though we find this to be a very cool car!

Steve
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2013, 02:57:41 PM »

Glad you're having fun with it.  I actually thought of buying a Shelby GT500 and even offered to trade my 440 Duster for one. 

Now I'd like to get a cummins to tow my 1500whp TT GTS ...
1999 1200rwhp TT GTS - ART, 2001 Roe sc GTS- (4 sale), 440 Duster restomod (sold), 3x Stealth TTs, 92 Daytona IROC with T3, 580whp/1080wtq Cummins pickup.
Sybil TF

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2013, 05:27:10 PM »

I can see yours.  I'm loading the pics the way I always have.  Copy and paste from Image Shack.  Never had an issue before.  Surprised no one has chipped in to see if they can see them or not.  I may make an online album

Now I can see it in this post!! Nice!
You know who!
Steve 00RT/10

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2013, 05:12:20 AM »

Now I can see it in this post!! Nice!

Thanks!
Sybil TF

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2013, 08:28:05 AM »

Now I'd like to get a cummins to tow my 1500whp TT GTS ...

You sound like my husband. I talked him out of it for now :D
You know who!
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2013, 05:20:32 PM »

I like my 800hp GTS best because it gets 22mpg (us)
1999 1200rwhp TT GTS - ART, 2001 Roe sc GTS- (4 sale), 440 Duster restomod (sold), 3x Stealth TTs, 92 Daytona IROC with T3, 580whp/1080wtq Cummins pickup.
shooter_t1
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2013, 06:22:44 PM »

So whats that got to do with Steve's Roush?
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2013, 08:43:32 PM »

That's in response to the Cummins and being like her husband. 

To get back to Steve;s Mustang and travelling comfort, etc.; Although Steve's seats are nicer than Shelby Mustang seats - 2 guys got in their 2012 Shelby GT500 and drove to Vegas from New York to compete and then drove home nonstop.

What do you think Steve, you do a lot of highway driving ... is the Saleen worthy of long trips?  What's the mileage?  How does it compare to the new Shelby GT500?
Steve 00RT/10

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2013, 06:58:36 AM »

That's in response to the Cummins and being like her husband. 

To get back to Steve;s Mustang and travelling comfort, etc.; Although Steve's seats are nicer than Shelby Mustang seats - 2 guys got in their 2012 Shelby GT500 and drove to Vegas from New York to compete and then drove home nonstop.

What do you think Steve, you do a lot of highway driving ... is the Saleen worthy of long trips?  What's the mileage?  How does it compare to the new Shelby GT500?

We do a lot of highway driving.  Probably more with our 2000 Viper than any other car we've ever had. We've done 700 mile days in the Viper and a trip to Detroit (460 miles) is a piece of cake. We find the GEN II seats to be very comfortable and road worthy.   I'm only on my 2nd tank of gas with this ROUSH... not Saleen ;)  The 1st tank...playing around some and taking our normal cruise route of about 40-50 miles turned in 18 on the head.  I then decided to check the air pressure in the tires.  They looked good, but the car came from Desert Hot Springs, CA...where the temp is probably about 100F right now.  Yup, they were all 5-8 pounds low. That's enough to make a little difference too. Comparatively speaking the 3.45 geared SC Viper gets 12-13 on the same route.  The Roush is rated for 17/25. Not bad for a 2003 SC 380 HP car.  It's got a 3.27 diff.  65 is about 1500 RPM.  It is a great cruiser so far! 

Before this car, I had zero experience with Mustangs. I know nothing about the Shelby GT500. The seats are comfortable and we hope to take a few 100 mile fall cruise yet this year.

Steve
Sybil TF

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2013, 11:36:48 AM »

What's the mustang  mpg you think?

You know who!
Steve 00RT/10

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2013, 12:33:11 PM »

What's the mustang  mpg you think?

The Roush is rated for 17/25. ...but I actually think it may do better than that based on the 1st tank I've done and how much I had my foot in it and the low tire pressure.

Steve
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2013, 02:54:03 PM »

Steve, what's the difference between the Saleen and the Rousch?  Near as I remember they were pretty close.  More expensive than the Shelby Fords but nicer.  Although much faster than the Shelby's around the road courses I read a comment or two that the Roush/Saleens were as fast and sometimes faster although usually rated about 5% lower hp.
Steve 00RT/10

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2013, 05:00:09 AM »

Steve, what's the difference between the Saleen and the Rousch?  Near as I remember they were pretty close.  More expensive than the Shelby Fords but nicer.  Although much faster than the Shelby's around the road courses I read a comment or two that the Roush/Saleens were as fast and sometimes faster although usually rated about 5% lower hp.

Ted, I'm brand new to the Mustang game.  I have no idea.  Some of what I've read says the Roush was more track ready.  The engine internals in our 4.6L 2V....are limited to about 400 RWHP.  The 4 valve engine could take a lot more and came out right after the car we have I think.  Not a big deal to me on the power end.  We're having fun driving it for a while  :driving:

Steve
Steve 00RT/10

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2013, 06:38:54 AM »

Ted, I'm brand new to the Mustang game.  I have no idea.  Some of what I've read says the Roush was more track ready.  The engine internals in our 4.6L 2V....are limited to about 400 RWHP.  The 4 valve engine could take a lot more and came out right after the car we have I think.  Not a big deal to me on the power end.  We're having fun driving it for a while  :driving:

Steve

....been doing a little more reading and driving.  I have found where this car (2003), as set up right now from Roush, pulled .98g on skid pad testing back in that day..wearing the stock Comp T/A tires it came with.  Better shoes had it pulling 1.0g.  That's pretty darn good.  I guess Roush is well known for it's modified suspension set ups.  To back that up in a very unscientific way...We have a  fairly tight sweeper a few miles from here that I can see all the way around.  If there's no traffic, I like to play a little sometimes.  A couple weeks ago I went around it in the Viper at a steady state 55 MPH.  I got the faintest tire noise, but noise nevertheless.  I did the same in the Roush a few days ago and the tires didn't make a sound at 55. It was completely flat and not straining at all to break loose.  Now...the temp was a bit different and I also think I may have done it before I aired up the tires.

Another little fact I learned yesterday. There is traction control on this which can be switched off.  I don't have any intention of pounding on this car as the plan right now is turn it over within a year. The TC button is much more restrictive on engine power than I would have anticipated.  With it on, you don't really feel it kicking in at all.  It appears the power is adjusted to not spin the wheels period from a roll.  It was pretty fast that way, but not with a stock Viper.  Turning that switch produces a new pony.  I can see where some mags tested this package at 4.3 to 60 and a 12.5 to 12.9 1/4.  It has MUCH more power in the 1st two gears in particular.  Tipping into the go pedal at 25 produced wheel spin yesterday as did flooring in 2nd gear about 35-40 MPH.  It doesn't have that kind of punch in 3rd or 4th, but it's definitely more fun to drive with the TC off.

Steve
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines | Theme by nesianstyles | Buttons by Andrea