The VIPER Garage
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 17, 2018, 11:16:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Pick Your ViperGarage Theme
Forum Stats
24598 Posts in 1931 Topics by 788 Members
Latest Member: Blitz8282
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
The VIPER Garage  |  General Viper Discussions  |  Viper Pit  |  Driving in the rain with K&N intake
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Driving in the rain with K&N intake  (Read 893 times)
TheOldViperMan

« on: September 11, 2013, 07:23:19 PM »

After installing the K&N air intake, I have not driven the rain.
But it's just a matter of time until I get caught in a downpour.
It's bad enough that the hood vents will allow rain in, but the thought of the rain being scooped up and dropped on the two filters
is just not acceptable. The pre-filter and filter condoms may work, but I wanted a quick solution that could be done with a quick stop, hopefully under an overpass. It prevents a lot of air flow when installed, but should be OK until I can get home, or to shelter.
I call it the Viper Noodle - Patent Pending - LOL

* Viper Noodle.jpg (89.08 kB, 608x456 - viewed 139 times.)
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 07:31:54 PM »

The newest Vipers don't have the rain baffles because they don't have the paper air filters.  Water will matt paper fibers causing airflow issues.  Info is from SRT engineers during VOI X K&N filters are cloth and therefor they don't mind the rain.  I drive my Viper in the rain (such as a horrendous thunder storm about a half hour ago here in Vegas.  After a few miles of driving down Boulder Hwy in Vegas was enough to cover the outside lanes with 6" water and many intersections were like rivers.  My car ran just fine through it all. I sure wouldn't want a full water dump into my hood scoop as that  - theoritically - could cause engine damage, but I've never heard of it before
1999 1200rwhp TT GTS - ART, 2001 Roe sc GTS- (4 sale), 440 Duster restomod (sold), 3x Stealth TTs, 92 Daytona IROC with T3, 580whp/1080wtq Cummins pickup.
TheOldViperMan

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 04:29:48 AM »

When driving in rain, in traffic, there is always the possibility of someone passing you throwing a wake that could literally cover the hood. Scary thought, but I'm a strong believer in "What if's).
I call it A&P. Anticipation & Preparation.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines | Theme by nesianstyles | Buttons by Andrea