The VIPER Garage
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 17, 2018, 11:13:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Pick Your ViperGarage Theme
Forum Stats
24598 Posts in 1931 Topics by 788 Members
Latest Member: Blitz8282
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
The VIPER Garage  |  VCA topics  |  VCA threads  |  Tool time
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tool time  (Read 2514 times)
Viper Girl
Global Moderator

« on: October 07, 2013, 04:44:57 PM »

In my quest for 2010 production numbers today, I came across the article from 2011 about the Viper tooling that has been part of the VCA discussion lately.

RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 07:28:45 PM »

The example used for tool saving was a Gen 1 hood.  I'm not sure iof there is any Gen 1 hoods available ... new? 

When I lost control of my first GTS when I drove through 2 staggered deep puddles on the highway and spun underneath a Semi.  The damage was worse to the Semi and although my wife and I didn't even get a bruise ... my 98 Roe supercharged GTS had a broken hood and everything in front of the engine was missing.  With the headlights costing $1500 each, about $6500 for just the bumper cover and the hood being a $28,000 part (without paint) there wasn't much need to do more than a quick look at the rest of the car.  The front frame module was bent and it was a write off without pricing anything else.   Prices were lower in the US, but the Viper is worth less in the US as well. 

A used Gen 1/2 hood usually cost about $6,000.  The problems Chrysler had with building the clamshell hoods were horrendous.  Aftermarket fiberglass hoods are about $5000.  Anyone think that it would be worth building a station to instal the problematic Gen 1/2 Hood pressure/temp fiberglass Tooling?  Wonder what an aftermarket factory hood would be worth?  $35,000?  Probably be cheaper in a few years to just buy a complete Viper rather than just a hood.  It's easy enough to understand why Chrysler scraps the stuff.

1999 1200rwhp TT GTS - ART, 2001 Roe sc GTS- (4 sale), 440 Duster restomod (sold), 3x Stealth TTs, 92 Daytona IROC with T3, 580whp/1080wtq Cummins pickup.
Ricketts

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 06:58:10 AM »

Seeing all this makes me sad to know who's possession it's all in. Sounded like a great idea at the time. I also had no idea to the extent of what all they acquired.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 08:07:11 AM by Ricketts » Logged
Formerly 281cammer
Jax92

VCA Medal of Honor winner

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 07:27:07 AM »

Check the new by-laws.  There is nothing mentioned about preserving "these automobiles in their original likeness".  The one thing the club has worked for LOL.  Look at what they've done with the IVR.  Absolutely nothing.  There has been a sticky thread regarding sourcing of obsolete parts since January of 2007.  Not a thing has been done to promote that effort either. Apparently that was BS along with everything else.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 07:32:28 AM by Jax92 » Logged
Viper Girl
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 07:35:12 AM »

you're right Jax, it was the old bylaws... Funny how what should be the most important part of a car club got left out.

Previous - National Bylaws of The Viper Club of America
Preamble: The purpose of the Club shall be...
1. To help members have more fun with their Vipers. To encourage and promote the admiration
the ownership, care and maintenance with safe and courteous operation of the VIPER automobile.
2. To be a unified voice for Viper owners. To serve as a medium of exchange of ideas, information and parts for owners of the VIPER, to aid in preserving these automobiles in the original likeness.
3. To act as liaison between Dodge and Viper owners. To provide an organization for club members to meet, socialize and maintain the spirit of good fellowship and to participate in activities including the use of their VIPER both regionally and as part of the VIPER Club of America (VCA).
4. To actively pursue ways to participate in charitable events including car shows and via monetary donations from the club treasury.
5. To further the interest of owners and drivers of the VIPER and to promote the safety and enjoyment of motoring in all phases.
6. To operate within the scope of the law.
7. The club shall be a non-profit organization.
8. The club shall be non-sectarian and non-partisan
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 10:28:06 AM »

You should post the new mission statement that Chris invented ...   :lol: 
1999 1200rwhp TT GTS - ART, 2001 Roe sc GTS- (4 sale), 440 Duster restomod (sold), 3x Stealth TTs, 92 Daytona IROC with T3, 580whp/1080wtq Cummins pickup.
Sean Roe

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 02:57:47 PM »

To make parts from any of these molds cost effective, you would have to do a complete production run of many, many units, just like Dodge did back in the day with them.
Could you imagine the nightmare of pulling these giant fixtures out and trying to get them set up in a factory for production? The money they would eat just to make one part, much less enough to help build or repair a damaged car. You might as well start finding decent cars to set aside for future parts cars, it would be more cost effective.
I'll give the powers that be in the club an A for effort, but at the end of the day, we're as likely to see earlier Viper parts made from these tools as we are to see parts made from 1968 Corvette molds. I guess it could happen one day..... but generally, people buy newer cars.
Jax92

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 07:14:29 PM »

You're right.  NFW!!!  That ain't never going to happen.  All the money being pissed away for storage is an absolute waste of resources.  Nothing will ever happen!
Adrnln

beat on it like its your little brother !

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 08:05:47 PM »

Follow the money , who owns the warehouse ?
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 08:08:01 PM »

"Pissed away"?  It's just CM giving his buddy (Tim Wolleson right?).  I read that the warehouse rent was $5000 per month and then I see that CM posted only $3000 for rent.  I doubt that 'King of the Liars' posts any truth since I read more of his posts and couldn't find any "facts" that I believed to be actual facts or truth that I could identify in any of his postings.   

Jax, correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the Tim that was a Director and wrote the letter to Sergio trying to get Ralph fired?  Kala?

01sapphirebob

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 06:21:40 AM »

If memory serves me correctly The VPA wearhouses are in KS while the Viper tooling is storerd in MI. So their rent costs could be different.
'01 Sapphire RT/10 (The Beast)
'08 Snakeskin Green Vert. "H" spokes, Grey/Black interior, Graphite bezels, NAV. (Envy) ONE BAD APPLE
Jax92

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 07:14:43 AM »

Jax, correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the Tim that was a Director and wrote the letter to Sergio trying to get Ralph fired?  Kala?

That be he.  I thinK Bob is right.  The tooling is somewhere in MI.
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2013, 09:12:35 AM »

So CM admits paying $3K for rent in KC, but forgot to mention the rent paid to Mi?   :idk:
JonB - PartsRack

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2013, 01:14:59 PM »

Check the new by-laws.  There is nothing mentioned about preserving "these automobiles in their original likeness".  The one thing the club has worked for LOL.  Look at what they've done with the IVR.  Absolutely nothing.  There has been a sticky thread regarding sourcing of obsolete parts since January of 2007.  Not a thing has been done to promote that effort either. Apparently that was BS along with everything else.

As the one who served as Natl Secty and ByLaw guru from 95-99, and then bringing in my successor Paul Ronald from 2000-2007(?) or so, I can attest to the FACT that the original bylaws said NOTHING about care, maintenance, information and parts for owners...'    LAUGHABLE!   That was a self-serving addition to achieve the 10% truth/90% lies  that are so prevelant in the spewing of that author.    He changed the mission retro-actively, to suit his justification for the family-run parts biz that paid NOTHING to the treasury that funded it.
JonB - PartsRack

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2013, 01:30:42 PM »

If memory serves me correctly The VPA wearhouses are in KS while the Viper tooling is storerd in MI. So their rent costs could be different.

I have seen quotes from the BOD  that the MI rent on the obsolete, worn-out, exhausted tooling, (90+% of which is INCAPABLE of creating even ONE part) is $4000/mo.  To an undisclosed Landlord.   Paying this rent by VPoA is one reason that NO PROFIT has gone to the club, despite their slogan.

Maybe the Detroit Mayor was the landlord?   Kick-Back Kwami heading to Big House

WELCOME SEAN!   I only now noticed he joined garage.   Great Addition.

As Sean suggests, the tools are junk at this point.   Value is in memorabilia. The technology since 1989-90 has changed SOoooo much, that it would be less costly to create a NEW tool using 2014+ technology than to refurbish the old tooling. Not many 2014+ cars or parts could be built with 89-99 technology.   

The Chrysler advisory label says it all: "DO NOT SCRAP"    (even tho at casual glance it certain looks just like scrap. "SCRAP is 80% CRAP"   

HIssstory:  When PartsRack bid and purchased the ASC Bankruptcy inventory of Viper parts from the Bankruptcy Court in 2007, we were offered a chance to aquire some of the same exact  tools in storage there.  The experts who had operated those tools warned us NOT to waste the time and effort even to transport them! "Scrap Metal" was how the ASC engineers evaluated them.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 01:39:33 PM by JonB - PartsRack » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines | Theme by nesianstyles | Buttons by Andrea