The VIPER Garage
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 15, 2018, 03:43:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Pick Your ViperGarage Theme
Forum Stats
24622 Posts in 1936 Topics by 838 Members
Latest Member: rpaddicted
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
The VIPER Garage  |  Generation-specific Viper Forums  |  Gen 5 (Striker) SRT Viper GTS  |  Conner plant to shut down for 2 months because of sluggish sales
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Conner plant to shut down for 2 months because of sluggish sales  (Read 6529 times)
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2014, 09:23:15 PM »

How many Z06 and ZR1s sold/built???  They mostly sell here in the west?  When I race Vegas/Ely, Race the Base and Mojave Mile events Us Viper guys are always seriously outnumbered by Z06 and ZR1 vettes. 

http://sscc.us/event_results/results-13-norc.htm  2 Vipers (me and Doug) against 3 ZR1s and a Z06 in the halfmile event.  The ZR1 I barely beat is a Land Speed Record holder (covette) I believe.

http://sscc.us/event_results/results-13-sscc.htm My slow Viper against 13 vettes.  I beat all the vettes (mile competition) and the same ZR1 was 6mph behind me.  3 ZR1s behind me in the mile event with 4 ZR1s and Z06s near the top of the halfmile and another 5 vettes that were much slower. 

http://sscc.us/event_results/results-13-sscc.htm  I really enjoy the opportunity to beat as many as 45 vettes at a single event while driving my slow street Viper. 

The 1000bhp Viper I was wishing for would be in answer to the million dollar hybrids and the 19 Mercedes supercars they build for mega bucks each year or two.  I think the 719 and the Black Mercs were built because they no longer make the 'super perfomance' SLRs that they used to ...

1999 1200rwhp TT GTS - ART, 2001 Roe sc GTS- (4 sale), 440 Duster restomod (sold), 3x Stealth TTs, 92 Daytona IROC with T3, 580whp/1080wtq Cummins pickup.
Steve 00RT/10

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2014, 09:46:39 AM »

How many Z06 and ZR1s sold/built???  They mostly sell here in the west?  When I race Vegas/Ely, Race the Base and Mojave Mile events Us Viper guys are always seriously outnumbered by Z06 and ZR1 vettes. 

http://sscc.us/event_results/results-13-norc.htm  2 Vipers (me and Doug) against 3 ZR1s and a Z06 in the halfmile event.  The ZR1 I barely beat is a Land Speed Record holder (covette) I believe.

http://sscc.us/event_results/results-13-sscc.htm My slow Viper against 13 vettes.  I beat all the vettes (mile competition) and the same ZR1 was 6mph behind me.  3 ZR1s behind me in the mile event with 4 ZR1s and Z06s near the top of the halfmile and another 5 vettes that were much slower. 

http://sscc.us/event_results/results-13-sscc.htm  I really enjoy the opportunity to beat as many as 45 vettes at a single event while driving my slow street Viper. 

The 1000bhp Viper I was wishing for would be in answer to the million dollar hybrids and the 19 Mercedes supercars they build for mega bucks each year or two.  I think the 719 and the Black Mercs were built because they no longer make the 'super perfomance' SLRs that they used to ...

...As many as the link I included said ;)

You are pretty much a one of a kind car guy.  OEM business plans aren't built around one of a kind guys/gals.  There has to be more.

There you go racin' again!  Were the ZR1s and ZO6s heavily modified like you?  And even if they were, it's just not that big a deal to the vast majority of people who buy cars who the winner is.  They don't need, or want, the car at the top of the mountain.  Only a very very few chase that title. The business plan for the high dollar, high power halo car seems to be waning if the sales numbers continue in the vein they are.  A factory monster Viper will never generate enough sales to warrant it's existence. Who would pay for an OEM monster Viper?  Would the price of the street Viper be upped?  SRT is already paying big bucks for the race team.

Steve
Sybil TF

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2014, 10:24:26 AM »

Got to consider the depreciation. I can probably sell my 96GTS for what I paid for it but if I was to buy a new one it would take a big hit unless I kept it for a really long while. So in this economy most who have the coin are maybe considering this and not buying?  :idk:
You know who!
Steve 00RT/10

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2014, 02:18:00 PM »

Got to consider the depreciation. I can probably sell my 96GTS for what I paid for it but if I was to buy a new one it would take a big hit unless I kept it for a really long while. So in this economy most who have the coin are maybe considering this and not buying?  :idk:

A 96 GTS is in a class by itself. You really can't throw it in with the rest for depreciation.  Way to go!  :2thumbsup: You're lucky to have one! A clean 96 can fetch close to it's MSRP from 1996.  Since the advent of the GEN III Viper, Vipers pretty much have all taken a substantial hit in depreciation from new. The market was flooded then and drove the price down for older ones.  New late model year GEN III convertibles sold for $20K+ less than their MSRP.  That lowered the market further and added to depreciation woes for most owners. Those potential Viper buyers who had the $ yesterday have more $ today.  The economy/market returns have only got better for the majority of upper income people.  In fact, there are more people with the where with all to buy a new Viper today than there were 4 years ago. Much of the increase is in passive income. I don't really consider passive income as money I worked for so: easy come easy go :)

The economy is not really that bad and is not the driver for reduced sales IMO.  More high powered choices for considerably less $ are driving the game today.  Better bang for the buck in the eyes of many.

Steve
Sybil TF

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2014, 07:36:09 PM »

I don't know so I will ask this question. How were sales on the Viper in the early days, say the 96 with the GTS introduction? Weren't prices $69,000 Viper as compared to $30,000 basic corvette or somewhere around there?
You know who!
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2014, 08:54:24 PM »

...As many as the link I included said ;)

You are pretty much a one of a kind car guy.  OEM business plans aren't built around one of a kind guys/gals.  There has to be more.

There you go racin' again!  Were the ZR1s and ZO6s heavily modified like you?  And even if they were, it's just not that big a deal to the vast majority of people who buy cars who the winner is.  They don't need, or want, the car at the top of the mountain.  Only a very very few chase that title. The business plan for the high dollar, high power halo car seems to be waning if the sales numbers continue in the vein they are.  A factory monster Viper will never generate enough sales to warrant it's existence. Who would pay for an OEM monster Viper?  Would the price of the street Viper be upped?  SRT is already paying big bucks for the race team.

Steve

Good points Steve.  My buddy that bought one of the 19 new Mercedes Blacks for a half mil also has several other unique (OEM 'racers') from Mercedes and a 97 Hennessey Venom 650.  He brought it to the Race the Base event since he hangs around with the ZR Auto group of rich exotic car owners in Western Canada.  They have several modified and highly miodified Maclarens, Hefner Lambos, etc.  Zahir raced his "world's fastest Ferrari" Enzo with Ralph Gilles at the Newfoundland Targa.  There were about 60 of that group at the Race the Base event.  Interesting as one guy I talked to brought 4 new exotic cars to that event.  Most of them couldn't drive very well though.   :headscratch:  I thought that was kinda normal? 

I think that if a ZR1 is basically built about the same as my slow Viper?  I added some head porting last summer because the ZR1s are getting closer to me.  I'm thinking that their supercharged vettes are probably "tuned", exhausted and CAI to about 700whp like my GTS. 

There's a lot of value added to the ACRs that set the world production lap records at the Nurburgring isn't there?  SRT race team signatures on the spoiler etc. 

I have to say that I was surprized that Shelby's funeral didn't raise the price of the Vipers ...  Here's a Superformance kitcar from south africa that is a copy of the Shelby Daytona coupe built for racing at the time Shelby built and raced the AC Cobra.

It was even the same color as my Deep Sapphire Blue Viper GTS!  I believe that the owner paid about $80,000 to have the car built.  Being a antique reproduction the car has only basic comforts and wouldn't be comfortable.

I have no idea what an original Daytona coupe would be worth.  The "Superform Cobra" went 127mph in the standing half mile, which is the same speed as a highly modified n/a Magnum, 2009 stock Viper ACR or 2001 stock GTS ACR. 

It's not just MY need for winning or MY need for speed, I also have a need for comparing the performance of all the various supercars and musclecars.  I enjoy seeing how much faster they go depending on their modifications and which mods increase the performance the most (best "bang for the buck").  I like looking at all the other cars and seeing what people do to their cars to "improve" them. 

You have mods, magazine articles, car show awards etc.  Same thing with me, just more so

* IMG_8713 (800x533) (500x333).jpg (185.59 kB, 500x333 - viewed 175 times.)
1999 1200rwhp TT GTS - ART, 2001 Roe sc GTS- (4 sale), 440 Duster restomod (sold), 3x Stealth TTs, 92 Daytona IROC with T3, 580whp/1080wtq Cummins pickup.
Steve 00RT/10

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2014, 07:32:26 AM »

I don't know so I will ask this question. How were sales on the Viper in the early days, say the 96 with the GTS introduction? Weren't prices $69,000 Viper as compared to $30,000 basic corvette or somewhere around there?

94 was the biggest year for Viper I think...over 2000?  Typical build was about 1500-1700.  Viper Jeff would know this much better than I.

I'm a little off on the 96 GTS MSRP.   The 96 RT/10s stickered for $58,600...the new coupe was $66K.  Pristine 96 coupes can fetch $50-$55K today I believe.  The differential for most other Viper  models is substantially higher.  GEN I RT/10s can be had for low - mid $20s today. They were priced in the mid $50s new.   New Vipers are being discounted $25K right now.  That alone pretty much wipes out a chunk of depreciation, but is a huge slap in the face to those who ordered and bought them at MSRP early on.  BIG MISTAKE!  The company is complicit in lowering the value of their own high dollar product.

You're right about the price differential in 1996 between Corvettes ($37K) and the brand new GTS Vipers ($66K)  The C4 Corvette was nothing to brag about then and was an absolute dog compared to the Viper.  I believe there were also more C4s made than any other Corvette model before or since.  They were everywhere!

Here's what's changed.  All the others now make a product that roughly lays down the same street numbers as the Viper for that 1/2 price.  The base Mustang GT is 420 HP for $31K. The 1994 GEN I RT/10 had 400 HP and a MSRP of $54,500.  Ford is putting out more power in a good car for just over 1/2 the price of the 94 RT/10.  The base Corvette Stingray goes for $53K and is a hell of a lot of bang for the buck.  I like the looks of it.  It runs to 60 in 3.8 and a 12.0 1/4 mile.  When you get that kind of performance for $50-$70K less, you have to think real hard about upping the ante to a Viper...especially when the vast majority of owners will only run it on the street in nice weather. 

The below does not bode well for the brand.  Sergio is pulling back on the reins

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20140324/UNITEDSPORTSCAR/140329918?utm_source=Alert20140324&utm_medium=enewsletter&utm_term=missedarticle1&utm_content=20140324-SRT-Vipers-will-not-race-at-24-Hours-of-Le-Mans&utm_campaign=awAlert

Here's some things old Sergio is working on now

http://www.autonews.com/article/20140322/COPY01/303229992/fiat-plans-seven-new-alfa-models-by-2018-report-says?cciid=email-autonews-daily&r=2359B5861023E2V

Steve

Sybil TF

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2014, 07:39:57 AM »

^^^^^That's too bad. It's about the money I would think.
You know who!
ViperJeff
Administrator

Viper Registry
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2014, 12:17:53 PM »

1994 - 3,083
1996 - 1,887...... 1,166 of those are GTS
“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.”
― Winston Churchill
Sybil TF

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2014, 12:47:55 PM »

1994 - 3,083
1996 - 1,887...... 1,166 of those are GTS

Now if anyone knows how many vettes were sold in 96 and 2013 and how many Vipers were sold say in 2013 we can get some kind of comparison.
You know who!
ViperJeff
Administrator

Viper Registry
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2014, 01:02:45 PM »

They build more Vettes an hour than SRT builds Vipers in a Month
“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.”
― Winston Churchill
Steve 00RT/10

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2014, 01:07:26 PM »

Now if anyone knows how many vettes were sold in 96 and 2013 and how many Vipers were sold say in 2013 we can get some kind of comparison.

http://www.vettefacts.com/

21,536 in 1996
11,647 in 2012

I think there were only about 500 Vipers made as a 2013 model...mainly due to production manufacturing issues. Here's the way it went:  ...SRT started accepting orders on November 9th, then SRT buillt 150 launch editions, 100 red track pack cars, 49 red dealer demo cars and about 100 other Vipers before personal orders started.

I have a friend who put money down for a new one on 11/09 and didn't receive his car till 5/30/13.  On July 27th CAAP started building the 2014 model year.  What a bite!!  It was the same car as far as I know.

Steve
ViperJeff
Administrator

Viper Registry
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2014, 03:06:41 PM »

I have an even 1000 2013's in my db
― Winston Churchill
Steve 00RT/10

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2014, 08:07:54 AM »

I have an even 1000 2013's in my db

I'm sure you're right...problem is they only sold about 1/2 of them.   ...and then the 14s started on 7/27/13...same car

Steve
Sybil TF

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2014, 08:38:57 AM »

I'm sure you're right...problem is they only sold about 1/2 of them.   ...and then the 14s started on 7/27/13...same car

Steve
Wonder how many 2014's are unsold. It would be silly to make any more until most of these are sold imo.
You know who!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines | Theme by nesianstyles | Buttons by Andrea