The VIPER Garage
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 18, 2018, 08:20:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Pick Your ViperGarage Theme
Forum Stats
24619 Posts in 1934 Topics by 826 Members
Latest Member: scottyv10
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
The VIPER Garage  |  Generation-specific Viper Forums  |  SRT10 Viper Discussions  |  Gurney Flap - ACR rear spoiler
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gurney Flap - ACR rear spoiler  (Read 1328 times)
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« on: May 22, 2014, 01:55:19 PM »

I thought that I'd post a link to information on part of the incredible aerodynamics of the Gen 4 ACR's rear spoiler.  They have a Gurney flap across the trailing edge of the rear spoiler which creates a lot of downforce while making it insignificant to the drag.

http://allamericanracers.com/the-gurney-flap/
1999 1200rwhp TT GTS - ART, 2001 Roe sc GTS- (4 sale), 440 Duster restomod (sold), 3x Stealth TTs, 92 Daytona IROC with T3, 580whp/1080wtq Cummins pickup.
CastellanoTwinTurbo
Specializing in getting a couple more customer cars finished then finishing up my front mount 4-link GTS to go break some records.....

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 06:43:03 AM »

I thought that I'd post a link to information on part of the incredible aerodynamics of the Gen 4 ACR's rear spoiler.  They have a Gurney flap across the trailing edge of the rear spoiler which creates a lot of downforce while making it insignificant to the drag.

http://allamericanracers.com/the-gurney-flap/

If the height is high enough, it will add to the drag in a significant manner.

Adding downforce to either the front or rear or both needs to be accompanied with wind tunnel testing.
Specializing in getting a couple more customer cars finished then finishing up my front mount 4-link T-6 Front Mount TT GTS to go break some records.....
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 08:32:44 PM »

No wind tunnel testing if you just buy the ACR stuff.  I was just explaining how modern wind tunnel testing has been such an improvement over the "try just adding a lip on the top".  When Gurney told them to add the lip to their spoiler they went from not being competitive to winning each run. 

Wind tunnels are only necessary for testing models nowadays.  F.A.S.T in Calif. has been doing amazing res-designs with computers using fluid dynamics.  I understand that there are available programs for aerodynamic design.  I've seen FAST work and the world records from their high speed improvements.  I've posted pics of a totally redesigned 66 Chevelle built to run above 250mph.  Jim Peruto (World speed record holder twice) owns the record car, the unreliable Chevelle and FAST is building him a much upgraded Charger Daytona 500 for the Open Road Rally event.  Imagine a Charger redesigned so that it has a CD similar to a Viper GTS and is a similar physical size.  I can't wait to see the car. 

The Charger is the World's Fastest speed (247mph) ever recorded on a Public hwy as well as the world's fastest average speed (217mph) over 90 mi. on a public hwy 

* IMG_8751 (1024x602) (500x294).jpg (136.73 kB, 500x294 - viewed 181 times.)
1999 1200rwhp TT GTS - ART, 2001 Roe sc GTS- (4 sale), 440 Duster restomod (sold), 3x Stealth TTs, 92 Daytona IROC with T3, 580whp/1080wtq Cummins pickup.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines | Theme by nesianstyles | Buttons by Andrea