The VIPER Garage
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 19, 2018, 08:59:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome all new users to The Viper Garage - please read the site introduction in the Announcements
Pick Your ViperGarage Theme
Forum Stats
24611 Posts in 1933 Topics by 817 Members
Latest Member: arnytt
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
The VIPER Garage  |  Generation-specific Viper Forums  |  RT/10 & GTS Viper Discussions  |  Alternator
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Alternator  (Read 1000 times)
ViperPict

« on: June 18, 2014, 04:07:36 PM »

Also posted on VCA and Viper Alley forums:

My alternator on my 1996 RT/10 has packed in.

Is there any advantage in getting an uprated one (I have a Paxton system running 6-7lbs boost) or should I just go for stock?

Thanks in advance.
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 07:14:21 PM »

I'd stick to stock.  A larger alternator would have a bigger loss to the power and add more tension to your assy drive belt.  Unless you've got one of those massive stereo systems that require twice what the stock alternator puts out, I wouldn't bother doing anything except replacement.  I've never felt a need for more electricity.  I have a Roe blown GTS and a TT GTS.

Both have HID headlights which reduces the power consumption (lowering consumption is the same as increasing alt capacity).
1999 1200rwhp TT GTS - ART, 2001 Roe sc GTS- (4 sale), 440 Duster restomod (sold), 3x Stealth TTs, 92 Daytona IROC with T3, 580whp/1080wtq Cummins pickup.
Asp Man

Break it like it's your brothers!

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 07:55:56 PM »

Loss would be minimal, and more is better (ampacity wise). In traffic, lights on, rad fan on high, a/c going, stereo on, fuel pump(s), etc. I say go for it. Upgrading is always best and why not build in some extra capacity for upgrades down the road? When you build a house, you don't use a 60amp service anymore, 200 is about the minimum nowadays, the analogy is apt. Stock is just the absolute minimum that they could get away with when the car was built, no extra capacity built into the system. A new battery while you're at it couldn't hurt.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 08:00:18 PM by Asp Man » Logged
Adrnln

beat on it like its your little brother !

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 09:00:32 PM »

Yes if alternator is taxed to the max all the time its not good for any thing , ignition will suffer , fuel delivery ,etc.
Jim had that problem on his , car running poorly at mid to high speed , turns out alternator weak voltage down around 12.4 under load for any distance .
 Probably little difference cost wise if thats a concern .
No more h p loss than stock unless you can use the added output , it will only draw what you need at any given time .
Great idea if you are upgrading computer or fuel pumps etc in the future .
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines | Theme by nesianstyles | Buttons by Andrea