The VIPER Garage
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2018, 12:51:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome to the updated Viper Garage.  We look forward to exchanging stories, events, tech info, pictures and fun.  Welcome to our humble Viper Home
Pick Your ViperGarage Theme
Forum Stats
24619 Posts in 1934 Topics by 827 Members
Latest Member: dmillerc6
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
The VIPER Garage  |  How To Instructions  |  How-to section  |  Install Gen 2 Front Brakes to Back and 14`Fronts
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Install Gen 2 Front Brakes to Back and 14`Fronts  (Read 1001 times)
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« on: July 27, 2015, 07:00:39 PM »

I called JonB (www.partsrack.com) and ordered a set of 4 piston 13`Brembo caliper and HD 13`rotor adapters.  Although the Gen 3 uses 14`rotors all around, there is no reason for the rear brakes to be the same as the front 14` Rear brakes on most cars only do about 20% of the stopping because weight transfers to the front.  With ABS overbraking the rear doesn`t mean very much difference and is only a few milliseconds slower activating than smaller brakes (larger brakes require more heat to stop).

I want to use my CCW drag pack race wheels and 16`slicks on my TT.  The front brakes allow the use of the 16`front wheels and should be good with the fronts mounted on the rear.  My 2001 ABS Viper doesn`t allow the 16`CCW wheels on the car as the brake line bolts where the wheel need to be.  Thi should upgrade my brakes as I have a set of Roe Racing lighweight fronts on my TT.  These 13`may balance out the braking system being slightly smaller. 

Roll racing and drag racing at Bremerton and Spokane Raceways I noticed that even tho I have Eradispeed lightweight rotors on rear with Tom`s 40mm caliper upgrade ...  After a couple stops my front rotors were blue`d and slightly scored.  My rear rotors are merely darker that the usual silver.  Obviously with the 14`front brakes I can use more rear braking than what I currently have.

Here`s the quality rear adapter brackets.  A few hundred dollars spent to save a couple thousand on bigger rears. 

On a side note; the adapters bolt to the front of the Hub biolts and you are required to hacksaw off the stock smaller caliper mounts off of the spindle.  Easy job to do.  If the Ebrake is required then you should also ask JonB about the Ebrake adapter kit to re-install the small caliper to be used for the E brake.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 10:39:33 PM by RTTTTed » Logged
1999 1200rwhp TT GTS - ART, 2001 Roe sc GTS- (4 sale), 440 Duster restomod (sold), 3x Stealth TTs, 92 Daytona IROC with T3, 580whp/1080wtq Cummins pickup.
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 10:52:35 PM »

The front brakes are an easy upgrade.  I selected a lighweight RR front Big Brakes kit.  That means 2 Gen 3 calipers (4 piston Brembos), 2 alum hats bolted to turned 14`rotors.  Much lighter than stock and a great weight saving.  I painted the calipers and alum hats pastel Blue to go with my Deep Sapphire GTS.  Looking good I bolted the adapters to the stock Gen 2 caliper location and then slid the rotors onto the wheel hub and assembled the calipers and EBC pads before sliding the calipers over the rotors and onto the adapter plate.  Using the supplied allen head bolts I tightened the calipers to the adapters.  I installed the stainless steel braided brake lines between the calipers and the frame connector.  Using a 1 person bleeder (check valve) I pumped the brakes a few times, filled the resorvoir and then bolted the wheels back on.  Drpopping the car off the jack stands and then did the brake pad - rotor break in proceedure.  Since I need to do a 200mi trip to the city I had no problem driving hundred of miles to properly breakin the pads and temper the rotors.  My new 14 nch brakes and EBC Red pads worked so good that when I pounded the brakes ... The wheel alignment slipped!  Wow.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 11:54:40 PM by RTTTTed » Logged
1999 1200rwhp TT GTS - ART, 2001 Roe sc GTS- (4 sale), 440 Duster restomod (sold), 3x Stealth TTs, 92 Daytona IROC with T3, 580whp/1080wtq Cummins pickup.
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 12:19:09 AM »

New brakes and old brakes (which became new REAR brakes)
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 11:22:44 PM »

As a test I put a stock Gen 2 Brembo caliper on the front of my TT GTS.  To make certain that the 16" CCWs would clear the brakes I installed the Hoosier 14 x 28 x 16" slicks and CCW drag pak rear wheels onto the front.  I have no rotors so the wheel wasn't spaced out far enough.  But the wheel fit over the calipers and there was room for the balance weights between the rim and the caliper with no issues!

Since the CCW wheel and slicks don't fit over the ABS calipers this upgrade WILL allow slicks to go on my 2001 GTS! 
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 09:18:06 PM »

I love the way these brakes work. A Gen 3 can't stop any better. 
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 10:19:32 AM by RTTTTed » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines | Theme by nesianstyles | Buttons by Andrea