The VIPER Garage
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2018, 02:45:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome to the updated Viper Garage.  We look forward to exchanging stories, events, tech info, pictures and fun.  Welcome to our humble Viper Home
Pick Your ViperGarage Theme
Forum Stats
24619 Posts in 1934 Topics by 826 Members
Latest Member: scottyv10
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
The VIPER Garage  |  How To Instructions  |  How-to section  |  Gen 2 Traction Control, ABS, Tone ring info
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gen 2 Traction Control, ABS, Tone ring info  (Read 330 times)
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« on: July 11, 2017, 09:16:28 PM »

I have a Twin Turbo '99 GTS and a 2001 ABS supercharged GTS. 

I bought a Motec M800 for the TT to add Traction Control because smoking thye heck our of slicks at 140mph while not even using full power doesn't feel safe. My TT has $11,000 Mark Williams rear haflshafts and I needed to add a Tone ring to the axle as well as install a Hall effect sensor to the rear spindle.  I purchased a front ABS spindle because it comes with the axle tone ring and hall effect sensor already mounted.  Since I'd purchased a Wilwood brake kit for running 15" wheels and slicks I spent nearly a day grinding the circle of the adapter bracket Tone ring to fit through the spindle while attached on the axle.  I had to cut the spindle side of the bracket to allow clearance for the Hall Effect sensor bracket I purchased from John Reed and Jason Oefelein of Portland Speed Industries for my Motec Traction Control.  I purchased the Gen 3 Tone ring from Unitrax and was gifted a pair of busted axles from Clint Shearer.  Got the Gen 3 tone ring and compared that to my Gen 2 ABS rear axle Tone rings.  They were not even close!  Aftermarket axles (DSS and Mark Williams) require the larger Gen 3 tone rings.  Although the Gen 3 are significantly larger, they have the same 45 "tones" on both so are interchangeable  -with mods such as different depths of Hall Effect sensors (which requires a custom bracket or one from John/Jason at jason@tunedbypsi.com 

The ABS rear axles of my 2001 came with tone rings on the factory axles.  My 800hp Unitrax 800hp alxes and later my 1000hp Titanium Unitrax axles came with the tone rings.  My DSS 1200hp axles required Gen 3 tone rings and none were included on the axles.  The Gen 2 tone rings are too small.  Changing to the larger tone rings also means that the factory sensor spacing is wrong and needs to be changed to the custom PSI bracket or modified to move farther from the center.
1999 1200rwhp TT GTS - ART, 2001 Roe sc GTS- (4 sale), 440 Duster restomod (sold), 3x Stealth TTs, 92 Daytona IROC with T3, 580whp/1080wtq Cummins pickup.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines | Theme by nesianstyles | Buttons by Andrea