The VIPER Garage
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2018, 02:11:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome all new users to The Viper Garage - please read the site introduction in the Announcements
Pick Your ViperGarage Theme
Forum Stats
24619 Posts in 1934 Topics by 826 Members
Latest Member: scottyv10
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
The VIPER Garage  |  How To Instructions  |  Viper Parts, numbers, bulbs, specs and info  |  Viper Bulb info
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Viper Bulb info  (Read 3312 times)
plumcrazy
Global Moderator

« on: December 26, 2010, 07:38:14 AM »

I thought this was good info to have.

Here on the site to help you find exactly what type of bulb fits for each application.

Don't know about you, but I have been frustrated more than once trying find out which bulb fits and the parts store jockeys aren't always as helpful as they could be.

General Lookup:
Find the bulbs for your vehicle

96 Viper Link:
Find the bulbs for your vehicle

Here are your bulb results for a:
1996 DODGE VIPER

Headlight - High beam
9011, Standard: Original Equipment Quality

Headlight - Low beam
9005, Standard: Original Equipment Quality
9005BV, BlueVision: Performance style halogens. High performance look.
9005CV, CrystalVision Ultra: Xenon powered halogens. Bright white Xenon look.
9005HV, Hi-Visibility: Higher output halogens. 30% more light.
9005LL, LongerLife: Longest lasting halogens. Twice the life.
9005NG, NightGuide: Maximum safety halogens. Tri-color beam.
9005VP, VisionPlus: Enhanced safety halogens. 50 ft longer beam.

Brake Light
3157, Standard: Original Equipment Quality
3157LL, LongerLife: Longest lasting halogens. Twice the life.

Courtesy Light Bulb
168, Standard: Original Equipment Quality

Directional Signal Indicator
194, Standard: Original Equipment Quality
194LL, LongerLife: Longest lasting halogens. Twice the life.

Dome Light

Fog/Driving
H3-55W, Standard: Original Equipment Quality
H3-55WCV, CrystalVision Ultra: Xenon powered halogens. Bright white Xenon look.
H3-55WHV, Hi-Visibility: Higher output halogens. 30% more light.

High Mount Brake Light
891, Standard: Original Equipment Quality

Instrument Panel Light
161, Standard: Original Equipment Quality
74, Standard: Original Equipment Quality

License Light

License Light

Parking Light
3157NA, Standard: Original Equipment Quality
3157NALL, LongerLife: Longest lasting halogens. Twice the life.

Side Marker Light - Front

Side Marker Light - Rear

Tail Light

Turn Signal Light - Front
3157NA, Standard: Original Equipment Quality
3157NALL, LongerLife: Longest lasting halogens. Twice the life.

Turn Signal Light - Rear
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 10:20:10 AM by RTTTTed » Logged
BOTTLEFED
owner

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 10:40:39 AM »

great find Phil

I believe this should apply  to all gen1/2s
97GTS B&W: Roe S/C 6.5#, VEC3, custom W/M, Borla headers and catless exhaust, smooth tubes and K&Ns, JM stg3 heads, 1.7 Arrow RR, 3.55 gears, Fidanza, B&M sst, 661hp/683tq
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 12:19:01 AM »

Great Phil.

Think I'd like to add that the lowbeams also fit the highbeam socket for anyone wanting to install HIDs into their Gen 1 or Gen 2s.

JonB was telling me that he sells the factory (Gen3 type?) quality of HIDs and you don't want to ask him about ebay options.

Ted
1999 1200rwhp TT GTS - ART, 2001 Roe sc GTS- (4 sale), 440 Duster restomod (sold), 3x Stealth TTs, 92 Daytona IROC with T3, 580whp/1080wtq Cummins pickup.
Bird325
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 07:10:01 PM »

I'm working on putting HIDs in my low beams.  The bulbs in there were 9005.  When I checked the high beams, sure enough they were 9011 bulbs.  Those suckers are EXPENSIVE, but that's to be expected as they are a very special bulb developed by Toshiba.  Has anyone put a 9005 in place of the expensive bulbs as a replacement.  If so, what was the lighting like and did the running lights work OK (Canadian cars have full time running lights)?
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 08:54:53 PM »

Yes, I used Low Beam HIDs and they fit fine.  The reflector and the position aim the light higher in an inverted T pattern (basically).

When I installed my lowbeam HIDs they were better than the stock Highbeam.  My white HIDs had the same reach as the stokc highbeams although the height was lower.  Seemd stupid that when I clicked onto highbeam the visibility went down.

I didn't switch incandescent bulbs around to compare.  I just immediately ordered the second HIDs to replace the Highs after my first night drive.

Ted
1999 1200rwhp TT GTS - ART, 2001 Roe sc GTS- (4 sale), 440 Duster restomod (sold), 3x Stealth TTs, 92 Daytona IROC with T3, 580whp/1080wtq Cummins pickup.
Bird325
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 06:25:16 AM »

:2thumbsup:  I got my HIDs installed and grabbed some pictures for everyone to enjoy. The install went well with only ONE glitch.  I'll tell you about that in a minute.

2001 GTS
  I bought my HID low beams (9005) from http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/Apexcone-Raptor-HID-Kit.  The price was REALLY good ($30/set).  Read the 'about us' section to see how the company got set up and why the ridiculously low price for good quality HIDs.  The ballasts are full size, not the 'slim' version that often doesn't last long or supply the necessary kick that the lights need. I got the 6,000K, 35W set.  Did I mention that this set comes with a LIFETIME WARRENTY on the whole kit - bulbs and ballasts? 

My install followed RTTTED's illustrated guide with the ballasts being installed inside the headlight enclosure.  There was plenty of room there for the ballast and wiring.  Just pre-check your wiring (I had to remove one of the wiring harness tie downs) and anchor the ballasts with silicone calk so you can remove the ballast if you ever have to.   I like the color and brightness that the new bulbs produce.  Install time took longer than it should have because the new bulbs just WOULDN'T go into the 9005 fixture at the back of the reflector. :mad:  I spent about an hour just trying, looking, cussing and backing up to think about it.  Turns out that the o-ring that came on the new bulb setup was a little bigger OD than the one on the stock bulbs.  I replaced the new o-ring with the one off the old bulb and they went right in. :D

Brightness:

Colors:

3 of 4 with HIDs:

If you're thinking about doing HID on your Viper, just DO it.  At the low price that these were, how can you go wrong?
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 12:43:50 PM »

Great post. 

One of your pics (Top) of the front of the car looks like the incandescent bulb emitts more light which is not the case. 

My HIDs were so bright on low beam that the factory high beams didn't show as much, making them where the next set of HIDs went :2thumbsup:

As far as reason's not to buy HIDs ... JonB said that he has known of cheap kits that caused fires ...

As far as a safety precaution I would recommend that every so often feel the back of the headlight cover to make certain that the Ballasts are not too hot.  It's very easy to just put your hand against the plastic and feel if the temp is hot enough to melt plastic.

All of the high end cars nowadays (like the Gen 3 and Gen 4 Vipers, Hemi Rams, etc) come with HID lighting from the factory and my HIDs improve my GTS to better vision than the newer ones :D 

Congratulations on a job well done Mike! 

Ted
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines | Theme by nesianstyles | Buttons by Andrea