The VIPER Garage
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 21, 2019, 06:09:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Pick Your ViperGarage Theme
Forum Stats
24628 Posts in 1941 Topics by 850 Members
Latest Member: Keith
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
The VIPER Garage  |  Generation-specific Viper Forums  |  RT/10 & GTS Viper Discussions  |  RT/10 & GTS Viper Tuning  |  AEM vs. SCT engine management on S/C RT/10
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: AEM vs. SCT engine management on S/C RT/10  (Read 3478 times)
ViperPict

« on: July 07, 2011, 10:14:14 AM »

Also posted on the VCA forum:

I've just had a Paxton SC kit fitted and am trying to sort out my map now. I have an SCT controller and was initially thinking of going down that route (either getting a ready-made flash tune or buying the SCT Pro Racer software and making a map). But that seems an awful 'clunky' way of doing things (I can't log AFR wide-band, have to use data logging scan tool to see how the map looks then modify on the lap-top manually and re-upload that map).

So now I'm toying with the idea of AEM. Upsides - very user friendly, lot of functionality (some of which may become more relevant as I tune further), 'live' mapping and logging and (last but not least) wide-band AFR logging. But downsides - more expensive and, crucially, does it have enough outputs for the large number of injectors and ignition system of the Viper (I have a 1996 RT/10)?

Does anyone have any advice for me? Thanks in advance!
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 11:10:41 AM »

Yes.  I bought an AEM to upgrade my Roe sc.  I know many that run AEM.  There are at least three better engine management systems on the market now - but they ARE expensive (Motec- $10,000).  There are 2 AEM V10 systems for sale on this site for only a couple thousand. 

I have a friend who bought a Roe/AEM equipped GTS and it blew the engine.  Apparently when the car doesn't run properly you shouldn't run Wide Open Throttle (sarcasm).  But, he rebuilt his engine over the winter and now has run 11.2 while doing his own tuning on his AEM.

AEM's advantage is that you can easily hookup the laptop and adjust the tuning if and when you make modifications.  SCT seems to be working but takes extra work to get it right, and it may be difficult to find tuners that can adjust or set up you tune.  Here, I'd be booking a 2,600 mile trip to DC Perf (closest West Coast Tuner with an excellent reputation.  Back east there is quite a few guys that know how to do it.  Texas has ART/Advanced Racing Technologies.

Ted

1999 1200rwhp TT GTS - ART, 2001 Roe sc GTS- (4 sale), 440 Duster restomod (sold), 3x Stealth TTs, 92 Daytona IROC with T3, 580whp/1080wtq Cummins pickup.
ViperPict

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 11:32:05 AM »

Thanks Ted. It does seem to be a bit of a gamble going AEM from all the reports I've had from various sources.
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 11:57:25 AM »

You're welcome.

I bugged all the 'good guys' (Dan, Dan, Larrry, Sean, etc.) and then bought an AEM from BAZ.  He has no more mods planned and is happy with his 750rwhp RT10 so he flew Chris from DC Performance to the UK and had him do an SCT tune.  He's extremely happy with the results.  His UK tuner was charging him for every minor adjustment BAZ asked for and he LOCKED the box so no one (BAZ) could alter his tune.

I can never leave my car alone.  I plan to port my heads more, got to the bigger 2.8L blower, maybe TT in the far off future and will probably run my AEM this year.  I also plan to fly a tuner to my area and get my tune done properly.  AEMs carry 3 tunes inside(?) and can be adjusted easily.  Motec is probably better - unless money is a consideration. 

As far as I can tell, the only AEM issues is that they occaissionally have a "memory fart" and need to have the tune reset on some.  If you've got the tune in your laptop that is an easy fix. 

Where are you located?  That's probably the most important.  Go to your closest tuner and ask them.  They're the ones that are gonna have to tune it. 

Ted
1999 1200rwhp TT GTS - ART, 2001 Roe sc GTS- (4 sale), 440 Duster restomod (sold), 3x Stealth TTs, 92 Daytona IROC with T3, 580whp/1080wtq Cummins pickup.
plumcrazy
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 03:59:13 PM »

personally im not sold on the SCT being for a boosted car. other than controlling some minor stuff. of those 2 id definitely use an AEM. but let a tuner decide what to use since they should be tuning it IMO. self tuning never seems to work well in the long run.
ViperPict

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 12:49:31 AM »

personally im not sold on the SCT being for a boosted car. other than controlling some minor stuff. of those 2 id definitely use an AEM. but let a tuner decide what to use since they should be tuning it IMO. self tuning never seems to work well in the long run.

I've got someone to map it who really knows what he's doing. Seems like all the required tuning to the fueling and timing can be done from the piggy back device that's supplied with the Paxton kit! Just not sure how boost is integrated there - I'm presuming it's a mechanical control of some kind? Certainly the SCT doesn't have the facility to map boost - anyone know how this is integrated?
RTTTTed
Owner
Administrator

Viper Nation - ezine
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 08:58:40 AM »

There's a million different ways to alter the tune.  My Paxton just uses the Split Second box.  It turns on the extra fuel pumps depending on boost and rpm.  The Paxtons also use a Fuel Managment Unit/FMU which increases the fuel pressure 4psi (or more) per pound of boost. 

If you're only running the standard Paxton kit then you don't need anything else.  My ACR runs perfectly with the Paxton kit and then it has a "Chiller" intercooler (C02) and a Nitrous System that runs 802rwhp and about 750rwtq. 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines | Theme by nesianstyles | Buttons by Andrea